What to plant now that it's hot?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by snoozy, Jul 19, 2005.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in Pacific Maritime Zone 8...I've got lettuce bolting and spring peapods toughening, so it's time to clear things out. I've got some new salad greens coming up, but I have plenty of space to plant some more seeds. Question is: what? We are going into our summer now, and I expect consistent warm weather for the next 6-7 weeks. What likes to germinate in hot weather but doesn't need a long growing season? Or, what will be happy to start out in the warm season but finish out in the fall or even last through the winter?

2. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

I just planted some more lettuce, swiss chard, leeks (dont know how they
    will do), lima beans and green beans.

I am thinking of planting brussel sprouts and broccoli in buckets so I could
    move them into a very light (almost greenhouse like) building when it gets
    cold to finish them up.

Just me experiementing :eek:

Christina
    athome in South Dakota

3. busy homestead

Oh I almost forgot-

we will plant lots of carrots yet. Even if they arent big they store just
    as nice.

Christina

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

"I expect consistent warm weather for the next 6-7 weeks."

You just had to go ahead and state that in public, didn't you? Now we'll go back to 50* and raining, till we get a killing frost in August. ;)

Seriously, I have good luck seeding swiss chard and kale this time of year. Spinach does well if you plant it the last week in August or so, otherwise the heat will make it bolt before it gets big enough to eat.

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Lettuce & carrots? Christina you must be east river where it rains. No rain here and the ground is hard as a rock & temps in the 100's.

Barb - west river SD

6. busy homestead

lol

Yes Barb I am east river. I am less than a mile from the Iowa boarder
    which makes a huge diffrence in South Dakota.

Christina

7. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Now that it has gotten so hot here in the south. I have planted my butt in a chair, and enjoyed as many glasses of iced tea as I can get.

8. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Ha!! Well, what we call hot up here is nothing compared to what you have down there, but we make do...

What about collards?

9. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You got it, Ed! Can't wait for October when it'll be cool enough to really enjoy being outside again.

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Howdy there, I'm in central Texas in Zone 8 (and never have posted in this gardening forum...don't know why, I guess i stay too busy in the goat forum). Anyway, it is too hot here to really start planting our fall/winter gardens but it is time to start thinking about it. Tomato seeds need to be started or tiny cuttings started from any green plant matter remains on springs scorched plants. Peppers and eggplants need careful care now to survive the heat in order to give a second crop until the freeze which may not come til who knows when. The first half of August is a good time to plant pumpkins, winter squash and southern peas. The squash and pumpkins take 100 days though. Lima beans and sweet corn can be planted after Aug.15 and before Sept.1. Sept. early plant cabbage family potatoes and summer squash. First 2 weeks of oct. plant beets, collard, leaf lettuce. Nov. 10 plant turnips, radishes, mustard, carrots, onions. That is what we can plant in our Zone 8. Many years we may not get a killing freeze at all. Some years we do. Often the fall garden does better. Winter gardens are good because of less bugs. It is way too hot to pull weeds and prepare soil now though. I better get those tomato cuttings though as there are seldom little plants for sell in the fall...around where I live anyway....Diane