What to have on hand for goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Oct 6, 2004.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Hi all;
    I am getting ready to place a livestock order. We have one Sannen that is currently milking and we are getting a boer/Nubian that was born in December some time this week.

What are the must have's? It is turning into winter gradually here and I want to be prepared. As a new goat owner I feel like I might be left in the dark if it snows really bad and I can't get out to get anything. We live in the boonies!

Thanks,
    BlessedMom

2. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I have pygmy goats and they are so easy to take care of: (1) some kind of shelter from rain (I use those metal three-sided sheds or I have plastic barrels with the end cut out---small goats love them). You don't need it enclosed. They don't seem to mind the cold, just being wet. (2) Fresh water that doesn't freeze. I have one of those no-freeze buckets. They drink a lot of water if they eat hay. (3) Hay and some goat feed (winter is the only time you need both of these.) And of course, fencing. That's it, I think.

3. BlessedMom

I was thinking along the lines of an "emergency" kit. Such as if the goat get sick...etc.. Common things we should have on hand. Like today I was cutting her hoof..and thought..gosh I hope I don't make her bleed..what will I do?

Thanks,
    BlessedMom

4. BlessedMom

I guess I should have clarified that I was looking more along the lines of a goat first aid kit or something like that.

Thank!

Blessedmom

5. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

Hi, I have i Boer Doe and 2 Pygmy Does. Some things I find that is great to keep on hand are.

Epinephrine in case of shock when you have given any kind of meds.

I keep 2 different kinds of antiboitics on hand. 1 for respritory and another for other illnesses.

I also keep Iodine for times of injury and if you cut a hoove to much and make them bleed. Just apply a little before you let the hoove back down.

I also keep bandages and some type of antibotic ointment and Vet Wrap for injuries that need bandaging also I have a variety of different size tubes such as Toilet Paper rollers and Paper Towel Rollers. In case of a broke leg. Also you need some kind of soft material to pack around the leg I use a bag of the Poly stuff you stuff pillows with about 3$ at Wal-Mart. All you do is fit a Roller to the leg leaving some room and stuff the Material all around and wrap it with the Vet Wrap. Better to have a Vet, but in the mean time this works great to keep the leg stable.

I also keep Blu-Kote on hand.

You need to keep clean syringes and needles on hand at all times. I even use a larger syringe to administer oral meds instead of those expensive drench guns.

I find it to be useful to have a Vitamine B Complex with Tyamine and Goat Nutri Drench on hand.

One last thing I keep on hand is Apple Cider Vinager. This is helpful when you need a goat to drink more water in case you suspect Urinary Calculi or any Dehydration. Adding a little to water will sometimes get them to drink more. They love the taste.

I hope this helps. It may seem like alot, but it is better safe than sorry. and except for the antibiotics each thing is not that expensive. And well worth the money in case of an emergency.
    Tina

6. BlessedMom

What is the Blu-Kote and Nutri Drench for?

Thanks for the list!!
    BlessedMom

7. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

Blu Kote is a spray to help with cuts or any open injuries. It is basically for the same purpose as Iodine except I ahve Iodine in a bottle and I have to put it in a spray bottle or buy it on a bottle and I ahd Blu Kote so I use it for spraying on wounds that I am not going to bandage.

Nutri Drench has Glucose, High Vitamin, Trace Minerals and Amino Acids. It gets in the bloodsteam in minutes. It is good for Goats Off Feed, Weak or chilled newborns, scours, pneumonia, shipping stress, Pregnancy Toxemia and Vaccinations. It helps give them an extra boost when they need it. I use it alot some times and other times I dont need it much at all but it is good to have around.

Do you keep wormer on hand. I keep wormer pellets on hand and buy Cydectin and Decotmax when I need it in the amount I need for my 3 goats since it cost $90 a bottle in my area. A breeder I am very good friends wiht down the road lets me just buy what I need. Thank God. It usually cost me about $5 to worm them when I get it from him.

If I think of anything else I will let ya know.

Have you thought about getting up hay and grain in case of a hard winter and any Blizzard that might hit and strand you at home. I keep an extra 50 lb bag of grain in a container closed up just in case during the winter. I do not use it unless I need to during a time of bad weather and I can not get out to go and buy more.
    Tina

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I also keep Probios and a coccidostat on hand, especially if you have kids. I would not be without Sulmet or Albon.