What to grow indoors?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by LvDemWings, Jul 30, 2006.

1. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I have access to some hard plastic trays. They are about 2'x1' and about 4 inches deep. Would it be possible to use these to create an indoor winter garden? The windows that would be best are in the kitchen, they are new windows and not drafty, and get morning sun (adding a growing light isn't possible anywhere that I can think of). The house stays at around 70ish day and night. What if anything can I grow under these conditions? I have no problem hand polinating. I have some spring lettuce, basil, radish and parsley seeds leftover that I'm planning on trying.

2. The Colonies

The Colonies Well-Known Member

I am growing upside down okra plants inside my home because where I live it is too cold to grow these veggies outside. They are growing but they only get 5 hours of sun a day so it is slow. I was growing upside down tomato plants inside as well but I made room outside to hang them up. I had a tomato start to grow and I had no idea about pollinating any veggies inside but I know to do this next time. I have very limited space so I use a lot of containers to garden and grow veggies, flowers and plants. I have more space by hanging some of my veggies (tomato, okra, and green beans).

I am not sure but my green leaf lettuce did OK in 3-4 inches of soil in a container. I am learning that some plants like Okra love hot, hot weather so growing them inside is good. Other plants like cool weather or in between...I am learning as I go and some Internet research about different veggies.

Try and try some more. I think you will figure out what will work or not. This is my first garden I am growing this year so I have learned some tricks and what works and what does not.......