what to grow ideas

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Christina R., Jun 27, 2006.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I was careless with the goat gate yesterday and the goats and chickens got into the lower garden. The corn and beans were doing what they always do, struggling until monsoons hit (which should be by next week), but it's a mute point now... it's all gone.

That means the 10x12' bed is available for something that grows fast (our first killing frost will probably be the last week of Aug./ definitely the frist week of Sept. Our daytime temps will be in the high 70's, low 80's when monsoons hit. Nightime temps will stay in the lower forties for the next few weeks, with some creeping down into the high 30's.

I have cucumbers, squashes, carrots, tomatoes, peas, lettuce, spinach, and peppers already planted. Any ideas of something useful that will grow and harvest fast? Thx.

Yesterday was one of those days, so it just seemed a fitting end to find the goats in the garden at the end of the day!

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Bush beans grow fast and produce well right to the first frost.

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

If you like them, you might have enough time left to get two plantings of radishes in. I like to grow a variety called "Salad Giant" (I think that's it). It usually ends up growing bigger than my carrots!

4. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

You could plant something that doesn't mind the frost.
    Broccoli - 40 to 70 days so check the variety
    Spinach - 50 to 60 days
    Kale - 30 to 60 days