Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought an acre property in central florida, where in the back of the property previous owner dug out two huge holes in the ground. Realtor called these holes "ponds" - NOT! Each is about 20'x20' and about 10' deep. They both have standing water on the bottom about 1ft deep. Ugly, dangerous and take valuable space that I could use to house chickens for example. I need to fill them in with something. Fill dirt is about $140 per truckload, not sure how much I will need, but it's quite a bit of money to go that route. Any ideas of cheap/free fill I can use or find? County is OK with filling these holes, no problem there.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Find someone who has a bunch of cement without rebar in it, that's piled up waiting to be hauled away. I'd dump that and a bunch of gravel till it was two feet from the top and then top it off with some good dirt.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
i'd seal the bottom and make them into ponds. a non-municipal or non-well (not dependent on electricity) source of water is invaluable on a homestead.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
betonite clay can be used to seal the bottom...

·
Premium Member
16,060 Posts
Keep your eyes open for new construction. Sometimes they have fill that needs to be hauled away and the closer the better for them.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Unless you're starting a gator or skeeter farm, I'd fill 'em.

I've seen clean fill offered for free by excavators on craigslist...of course that probably doesn't include trucking.

RF

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
can you just slope the dirt down into them so that you have a larger less deep lowering
like lower everything around for 40-50 feet 6 inches or a foot to fill them then you would just need a dozer for a day

·
Registered
940 Posts
You never know one of these days you might want to build something there.. Try to dig a post hole in broken up concrete..Be cheap now pay later. You could always sprinkle out some corn and make some hog wallows.. Then charge folks to hunt for em.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, guys, thanks for all the great ideas! I wish I could implement them all...
Especially one with the root cellar. That brings up memories - when I was little and spent summers at my granma's, she had one. I remember we would climb together there with a large plate that she would fill with pickles from the wooden barrel, same with green tomatoes, then some taters, carrots, onions, etc. She also used to make this unbelievable sausage from the pigs she raised... I cannot do that in Florida short of heavily cementing the walls, you never know when it fills with water.

Would love to slope them in, but there's lots of large trees around.

I am thinking now, after reading all the posts - maybe I should truckload them up to 4ft off the ground, then put some kiddie pools in there for tilapia/duck combo? The only issue will be cleaning and filtering these.

And certainly no grabage will go there. It is our land (in a larger sense), we drink from it. I am trying to be responsible with the environment.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
it sounds like you have lots of choices. i would line them with clay or a pond liner myself. my next choice would be to use the chance to create a geothermal heat exchange for heating or cooling. i mean, you already have the digging done, lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You are in florida. Make shure they aren't sink holes . I fill in holes around the farm with WHAT EVER. I picked up a trailer load of busted up concrete & cement bocks . in the summer I found where some one dumped A LOT of old bricks. They are in my hole. just keep an eye out

·
Super Moderator
13,905 Posts
I am filling in the soggy lower terrace of my property with yard waste and leaves and letting it compost. I raise the ground level on that 300 x 20 area about 3 inches a year just by letting neighbors dump their leaves and clippings there with mine. its taken me 8 years but the 5 foot drop is almost gone and the area has just a slight fall now and drains nicely.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
Put the dirt that came out back in?

Find a sawmill that will let ya have the sawdust free ,just haul a load whenever you go by and soon it will be full keep addinding as it rots,a few years after that as it rots down you will have a great garden spot.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Do you live close to Zellwood? If so, you might want to check on Monterey Mushroom Farm for some spent compost (if you have access to a truck). Now this article I C&P'd says free, but I saw on another forum about a week ago that they were charging $5 a load. You cannot load it up yourself for liability reasons. You drive up and they fill up your truck or trailer. Anyway, here's the article. contact information at the end.

Free manure replacement

Hey, gardeners: If you didn’t get your compost at Monterey Mushroom Farm, you paid too much! Monterey, in Zellwood, gives away spent mushroom compost for free. They use it once to grow mushrooms, then it’s yours. It’s a wonderful soil additive for lawn and garden. Bring that pickup truck between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. any day of the week and fill it up with this steam-pasteurized mix of straw, hay, gypsum and protein meal.

(Monterey Mushroom Farm, 5949 Sadler Road, Zellwood; 407-905-4000; www.montereymushrooms.com)

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Do you have any palmettos on your property? You could have them pushed in the holes and cover with soil, will sink some in later years but not much. We did it on some property we had in FL. Clear some land that way too.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Before doing anything check into what you can do. Some areas there you need permits to do any landscaping. When I lived in Fla, in the late 70's construction companys would buy your dirt and dig anysize hole you wanted. Since then I think a lot of ponds have dried up due to less rain fall amd lower water table. Good luck getting them filled. Sam

1 - 20 of 25 Posts