Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Saanen & Boer Breeder
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little girl is an undetermined age but maybe around 6 weeks. Her momma was a chihuahua and her dad was a pekinese (sp?) and she is maybe around 2lbs? Not sure really but she's really little.
Anyway, she is eating her food really good but doesn't seem to be gaining weight and might even be losing. Right now I am feeding her the canned Pedigree puppy complete nutrition food with DHA for healthy brain development. She has eaten about 1/3 of a can in 24hrs. It said on the can to feed up to one can per day for a dog up to 5lbs. For a ditz like me that's kinda vauge. LOL!
She has LOADS of energy, has teeth that are sharp as nails but tiny, goes potty really well both pee and poo. She has only been wormed once with a liquid wormer from the feed store. I've not given her her shot yet as I didn't want to stress her system any.
Anyway, try to be nice, I'm asking these things because I've never raised a small breed. Labs I can raise, this little girl is the size of a lab at BIRTH! LOL! And far more fiesty. :D

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
little dogs have very hi metabolism you might want to look on the label and give her food with the highest protien and fat levels you can find and maybe feed her more. I would feed her a good kibble myself most of the canned food is crap imo. if she has trouble with the dry food you can always soften it for her. hope that helps. if shes eating and loseing wieght though does sound like worms.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If she has only been wormed once, I would reworm her...or better yet, take a stool sample to the vet and find out if she really has worms. If stools are normal, energy level is good and coat looks good, you might not be dealing with a parasite issue.

Toy breeds have issues with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar...hope I have this correct as I haven't really dealt with this...just heard a lot about it) This means you should be providing lots of small meals all day long. At six weeks she should be fed four meals a day.

I agree with the poster that says get good quality food in her that is high in protein and fat. Pedigree is notoriously low in fat....at least the dry food is. I haven't paid much attention to the canned food. I would suggest feeding EVO...dry or canned. It is very expensive however this pup is never going to reach a size that will demand a lot of food. EVO has no grain fillers. It is a quality food.

Weigh the pup so you know for sure whether it is gaining or loosing weight. If the pup is maintaining weight I would consider that loosing weight as the pup should be growing at this time. If the pup is not gaining, or worse, if it is loosing weight .....I wouldn't wait too long before getting it to the vet.

Willow101

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
When we were adopted by a very sick, underweight kitten, after taking it to the vet, I fed him a lot of small meals very often. His little tummy couldn't handle large amounts.

I cooked up chicken, chopped it fine and fed him as much as he'd eat at least 6-7 times a day! He got vitamins, cooked eggs, canned cat food, cottage cheese and regular cheese. Or, and softened dry cat food.

I don't know if that would work for a dog though.

·
Saanen & Boer Breeder
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When looking at the label on this canned food the protein min is 9%and the fat min is 8%. It says it is 78% moisture which I'm guessing is water. Ugh, better to just soften dry food. How annoying. LOL! You think you're doing good by buying the one that says complete puppy nutrition and all I bought was a can of water with dry food in there somewhere. LOL!
I'll worm her again and see how that does. And she does play a lot, hard. Likeright now she's chasnig around my 5 year old son who has just about as much energy as she does. Fun times. Puppies do make the house a lot more fun though.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Protein is different on a can than a bag of dry I am including a site that explains the whol process better. It is actually better protein from a can food and most ingredients used in can food is fresher than those used in dry. Less processing as well from what I understand.
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?more=1&p=359

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Okay, I'm kind of a nut, but I would feed raw. One joint of a chicken wing at a time, removing it once she steps away from it and refrigerating. At least four times a day. And a tiny bit of raw liver each day, the size of her paw. Chis need to chew on raw bones to help set their teeth (I don't know why bones work better than other chews, but they do). Chihuahuas housebreak very young, so you want to make sure she never has an accident on your carpet. If you can't take her outside often enough, train her to newspapers or a litter box with real dirt in it. She'll also need a coat. I can't remember who, but another poster recommended cutting off the cuff an old sock and poking holes for the legs. Don't forget doggie socialization.

Bless you and Pookie.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Definately change the food to a high quality diet. You can feed raw inexpensively with a little one. To get her a good start on it, I would start her on ground turkey or beef with some bone meal and kelp. You can also give her a multivitamin ground up on her food or she may like the chewables. Not sure what a 6 week old tiny can manage with bone, but my 4 week old pups are tearing meat and starting on bones at 4 weeks. If you would rather feed commercial diet, then EVO or Taste of the Wild are my top choices for puppy owners that want to feed kibble. If you want to do canned Evanger's is wonderful and complete and mostly meat. Do feed the pup 4 times a day or more often. Small breeds need to eat often to keep blood sugar levels up.
Do worm her a couple weeks apart for 3 times. I would not bother with testing as it does not always show up in stool sample.

·
Saanen & Boer Breeder
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. So far she's doing better. Eating at LEAST 4 times a day with her canned food as that's what I have on hand and had stocked up on.
Maura~ you had said to make sure she never uses the bathroom on the carpet. I am trying not to let that happen but what do I use to clean it up with when she does? At night she sleeps in the bathroom with puppy pads (we have linoleum) but sometimes she uses the floor instead of the pad. Anything in particular I should use to clean up?
Thanks for all the help guys!

G

·
What is the active ingredient in the wormer you use? The two most common wormers are pyrantel and fenbendazole. The latter will kill more types of parasites than the former.
How do her stools look? Coccidia and giardia can be a problem too.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You have to be aware of her "potty signals". Normally, a dog will sniff and circle before relieving himself, but some are quicker than that. It is already kicked in for her to poop in one place and play in another, so use this to your advantage. I would lay newspaper all over the bathroom floor (if you have a baby playpen, this might be better). In the morning, keep the piece of paper she used, placing fresh newspaper underneath it. Place the paper where you want her to go and use a baby gate to make the bathroom as small as a large crate. Feed her in little spots on the linoleum. She will not want to poop where she eats.

Once she is using the newspaper for potty, you can use it outside where you want her to go, you can anchor it with a couple of rocks. Put a sweater on her and take her outside when you think it's time for her to go. She will probably need to go about a half hour after eating. Go out side with her on leash. You should have a shoveled path for her to follow to her potty destination. The instant she starts to go, give her a cue (hurry up, go potty,...) and make sure you have a yummy treat in your hand. The instant she is done, put treat to her nose and praise. Slap the side of your leg, say "let's go Peanut", and jog back to the house. Normally, you would want to run around the yard a little and play (play happens after potty), but she will have problems staying warm.

Don't have her out of her "crate" at any time that she may need to pee or poop. So, after doing her business outside, she should be safe inside for a while, you will get to know her schedule. You really need to get a crate for her.

When she gets the idea of heading for the outside newspaper, make the paper smaller and smaller, and scrape away the snow to the grass, because you want her to use grass. I've never had a puppy that young, but when she is at the point she needs to go outside once a night (8 weeks?) stop putting newspaper in the bathroom, get up in the middle of the night and take her out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts