Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have an 8 yr old ober who has knee problems. I knew this when I got her 4 yrs ago. Her knees swell up then go down. Last night she was moving kinda slow and not wanting to get up. Today, she is down, and won't get up on her feet, and she is walking on her knees. I tried helping her up, but it is like her knee joints are froze in a bent position. Should I put her down, or is there something else I can do for her? :Bawling: She is one of my favorites.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I'm guessing your doe has CAE and is in the final stages. Putting her down is the only kind thing to do. I believe there is a sticky on CAE at the top of the page. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
It is likely CAE or mycoplasma. A blood test can confirm either which is pretty moot since there is no treatment.

You can make her more comfortable with steroids for awhile, which takes the swelling down, actually dramtically so. You can also wrap her knees, BRACE which is DMSO mixed with alcohol, horse vets make this up to sell, clean her knees, paint her knees, wrap them with saran wrap and then hold the saran wrap on with vet wrap (it's the rolls of stuff you see at feed stores in the bright colors that sticks to itself, unlike ACE bandages that won't work. Put it on firm but not tight, then firmly run your hands over it, and squeeze it makes a mini firm cast. She likely will be up in the morning. The problem, it's treating symptoms of a virus which isn't curable. And you can't use Dex for more than about 6 days, and how long can you continue wrapping and sweating down her knees?

Chondroiton, Glucosomine and MSM is found in all equine catalogs, and even wallmart for us, it's soo much cheaper in jefferspet.com click on the horse section (I even take the horse stuff myself). This will help with the joints, and swelling around the joints, and can actually with some goats work very long term. Give her over her food as much as you would give a 1000 pound horse...well if she is a good size nearing 200 pound adult doe.

I hate for you that you are dealing with this still, it's nearly criminal that breeders have not eraticated this and other communicable disease on their farms, instead of selling stock that they know darn well doesn't have arthritis in the form you were told.

If you can't get her up on her feet, even with all this and trimming her feet really short, than put her down by spring when wet muddy season comes or you will have a barn bound, shavings bound doe who won't stand to be bred or to nurse her kids...sorry about this. Vicki

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all of your advice. My husband is going to put her down for me tomorrow when he gets home. I have given her the best years of her life. When I got her, she was as wild as a March hare. She was scared of humans, and even more so of a leash. I think she was roped. After I got her used to me, she became a big baby, and a good milker. This past season she didn't do as well with milking. I think the most she gave was a quart one day. I knew this was coming, but I sure didn't want to think about it.

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since it sounds as if she has CAE, does that mean her year old doeling does too? If so, do I need to put her down also? When the doeling was born, I decided she would be a replacement milker for her mom, and I would just retire the mom. Could I still do this and just bottle feed the doelings kids?

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
the only conclusion to this would be to draw blood and have it tested for cae.
did you let the daughter nurse on her dam? if so, she might test positive for cae if that is indeed the case for the lameness. malnourishment, neglect hoof care for long periods of time, can also lead to arthritis.
if you want to have replacement milkers that are healthy, the best would be to remove the kids right after they are born without letting the dam licking or nursing them. raise the kids on heat treated colostrum and pasteurized milk. that will give you the best chance to get cae negative kids. not 100% but close enough.
sorry for you old doe.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
You gave her a wonderful, wonderful life. Try to focus on that....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts