What to do?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by FarmGoddess, Dec 21, 2006.

1. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

My year old sable buckling, JC's Black Monday, almost became JC's No-Parts Tuesday. The managed to get himself hung upside down on the gate, don't ask how, I'm still trying to figure this one out myself, with one leg and his 'parts' wedged in the crosspipes. It was after dark when he did this and all I know was I heard a blood curdling goat scream. Rushed out with my flashlight and there the poor thing was front legs on the ground, one back leg and his 'parts' wedged
    at a 90degree angle on crosspeices. I got him down, nothing broken, thank goodness. He's a bit sore and somewhat bruised and a bit swollen. Here's the question. I don't know if he's damaged himself or not. Should I go ahead and wether him or should I sell him as planned with the caveat that he sorta hurt himself. His parents are both registared solid white Saanan dairy goats, only his dad comes from a bloodline heavy on Sables (which the breeder didn't bother to tell me when I purchased the buck). He popped out solid black. I've had offers to both purchase or to breed him. I'm not sure what to do. Advice please.

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

If he didn't shut of the blood supply for too long he might still be functional.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If the blood supply wasn't cut off and if he heals and seems to be normal.....I'd sell him as a buck. If he didn't hang there for long....he should be fine. Of course if by some strange twist, he did turn out to sterile...you'd know why and would make it right.

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I would assume you could have his semen tested pretty reasonably or do it yourself if you had a microscope once he returns to normal. That would eliminate any doubt.