What to do?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SHELBY, Nov 8, 2005.

1. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Okay, here it goes, sorry for the gross factor but I don't know how else to describe it..

We got a pygmy billy goat yesterday and he has sores on the back of his (Knees) all the hair is gone and it looks like one big scab, it is also kitty, off white in color sortof like the consistency of snot, he walks fine on it and doesn't favor it when he stands, but also he lays down alot or sits..

Do you have any idea what this is ? How should we treat it?

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

I am guessing you mean the inside of his front legs-on bucks, this time of year,it is most likely wear he is "spraying" himself with all his manley "fluids",that can cause sores-wash the area good,apply an antibiotic cream,or even just keep vaseoline on it,you will need too keep washing,as he will keep "sraying"-some bucks are just worse about this than others-if it really looks infected, you may need to give him antibiotic shot also.This would be my guess, from what you describe.

3. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Actually, it's on the back of his back legs not the front..

4. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Shelby, are you still at the same house? I noticed it was for sale a while ago. Try using some triple antibiotic cream on his legs. I've had great success with that on different afflictions on my goats. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll stop over.

Ruth

5. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Ruth, yes we are still here. We did have it up for sale and actually had it sold, but the seller's of the house we were going to buy backed out on us. It's a good thing that we knew the guy that was going to buy ours, because they really could have pressed the issue when we told him about the problem but he didn't and backed out for us..

Where did you get that cream? All I have is Furozone for horses and I'm not sure I should use it on him..

6. moosemaniac

Just go to your average drug store or Walmart and pick up any generic triple antibiotic (for people). Comes in a tube like cortisone and stuff.

Ruth

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

This is "Pizzle Rot" . Triple-XXX Cream from the dollar store works well for us. Our boys seem to favor one side of their face, not so much the back of the front legs.

They think it's so romantic :p

8. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

I'll get some in the morning.

Our other billy goat didn't do this, This little pygmy is gross..
    What I am trying to figure out is how he hit the back of his back legs?

9. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Little Montana (Pygmy billy) seems to be favoring the one leg this morning. Doesn't want to put any weight on it, and will get up if I make him.

I'll be heading to the store in a little while to get the cream. Any other suggestions, in regards to him favoring it..

10. moosemaniac

Let me know how the little guy is doing. He's probably favoring it because it stings. I know that's how I feel with a raw wound.

Ruth

11. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

After getting all the gunk off and being able to look at it, it appears to be real leathery feeling and last night we did see what looked like a hole in leg that he is favoring. He seems to be walking on it fine, in fact the little bugger get loose last night and was on the other side of the barn..