Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 5 brand new seagate baracuda fiber channel harddrives...9.1 gb each. i think i bought them by mistake a few years ago on ebay. i think they require some type of converter for use by we novices in IDE...which i probably cannot afford. since they are only 9.1 gb each, i doubt anyone would buy them on ebay and i hate to rack up sellers fees.

what the heck can i do with this "surplus".

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could look for a 5 bay fiber raid case/enclosure, so you could at least use them. The primary reason people would buy 5 identical fiber hard drives isn't for storage space but for speed and redundancy. Especially when configured in a raid array.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
For an oddball like this the dumpster is most likely the best place for then.
9gb to small to bother with even stripped your at 50gb, not to mention they are most likely 5+ years old. With 200+gb drives under $60, hardly worth the shipping cost

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I agree 9 gig is nothing at all and may not even work in many machines because of the size. Heck my original H-P had a 9 gig drive, and that went in the dumpster many years ago.
Storage, right now is VERY cheap, and drives have not been cheaper for years.~! And will even have lower prices, as this economy isn't getting any better any time soon.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
At least take them apart to salvage the very strong magnets and the nice bright shiny discs. Well I would. Watch the magnets for finger pinching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts