Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH came across a company he deals with that was giving away salt. They had an error in the packaging and were told to throw it out. The foreman was told if he could find someone who wanted it they could have it.
Well, my DH took 300lbs of it and they guy still has 6000 lbs to get rid of. Any ideas as to what to do with salt? I think that long term storage could be a problem.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Take as much as you can! You can use it for cooking, brining and canning, and to cure hides. It will keep forever if you keep it dry. I have over 100 pounds vacuum sealed in jars....I mark on the jar with a sharpie so I can tell salt from sugar, and also note if it's iodized or not.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Hey, take it all and share - or sell on the barter board! What state are you in? Maybe there are some HT folks who'd want to stop by and get some.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in central Ohio. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I will tell my husband to tell the guy we will come up tomorrow to get more.
I wasnt sure if you could use it for the driveway etc.
I will gladly share with anyone who is interested. The location is near the Port Columbus airport.

·
Registered
473 Posts
As the company giving it away is in central Ohio, they would be better served by selling it to municipalities in the area for ice melting. Your DH could make this suggestion to them, thereby helping him better secure his position.

The salt may have impurities or additives that would make it unsuitable for food purposes. Use caution.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Its salt its not going to go bad . put it in five gallon buckets.
you can wet it down and then dry it into a cake and make slat licks or wax the out side to keep it clean. Its a Rock after all .
go back and get some more you can always use it as Ice melt or to put out fires

get ya some rectangle plastic containers moisten it and make bricks then wax then to keep them from melting and build yourself a block storage shed

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Its salt its not going to go bad . put it in five gallon buckets.
you can wet it down and then dry it into a cake and make slat licks or wax the out side to keep it clean. Its a Rock after all .
go back and get some more you can always use it as Ice melt or to put out fires
If it was allowed to get hard into a big cake, say in a 3 or 5 gallon bucket, could it be used as a salt lick for livestock?
I'd put some in jars or buckets to keep for yourself. You can use it for lots of stuff and never have to buy salt again.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
If it is food grade, use it to brine pork and poultry or clean your wooden cutting boards.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You could put it all in a big salt truck, then head over my way and sprinkle the entire county where I live- I'm tired of snow, I want to see dirt- LOL

Jussssst Kidding!

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I am in central Ohio. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I will tell my husband to tell the guy we will come up tomorrow to get more.
I wasnt sure if you could use it for the driveway etc.
I will gladly share with anyone who is interested. The location is near the Port Columbus airport.
When we lived near Des Moines Iowa, the city ran out of regular road salt and had to buy garlic salt from the spice company there to clear the streets. I remember the smell.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Got a water softener? You could use it in there, too!

Be careful to find out if it has iodine in it before you use it for pickling or brining.

I dont know if the way it's currently packaged would discourage the town from using it in their salt trucks, but who knows. I bet independant snow plow guys who use salters on the back of their trucks may be interested in it, too, if it's cheaper than the stuff they have to buy. I'm sure they'd be easier to deal with than a town or city.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts