what to do with pine tree samplings?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Sep 7, 2004.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

The land we've bought has about 30 pine trees on it, they're all less than 20 feet tall. I'm not sure what kind, but they look like beautiful Christmas trees. They've got to go. There are too many and they will spoil the view when they're bigger. See my thread titles "We did it." There's a picture there.

My wife actually wants to leave a couple of the small ones to use as Christmas trees. I'd like to leave the ones growing close to the sides of the yard, but the ones in the middle need to go. I'd much rather plant full size apple and pear trees. We want goats. Do goats eat pine trees?

What use would these saplings be to me? What suggestions can you give? They're only about 6 inches in diameter. I'd really rather not try to treat them with preservative to use as fence posts. My only thought would be some kind of temporary, rustic arbors.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Can you sell them this Christmas for Christmas trees?

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I thought that, but they are really big. 20 feet high and 10 feet in diameter. Very pretty, but very big.

I've thought I could use them for decorative fences. I also thought about compost bins, but I can get pallets free from work.

4. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

Yes, goats and sheep will eat young pines and the trees will die. Cattle I am not sure about. But when the sheep started chewing on my pines they soon were confined until I figured out another pasture for them. That was a while ago but a lesson learned well.

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Maybe I'll leave a few as goat chow.

6. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Do the tops look like good Christmas trees? You could cut them down and sell the top 8-10 feet and use the poles for something else like fence rails.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When winter turns everything brown, those big green trees may be the best part of the view. Wait till next year before you start cutting.

8. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I agree, once its cut down it's down, you may regret it. Sometimes a tree framing that veiw is nice too.

9. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Wait 10 years and chop them down for firewood!

10. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but if they are on a slope, they may have been planted for erosion control, or as a wind block.

As somebody else has said, I think I would wait awhile before cutting them down. Get to know the land better, the storm patterns and everything else.

Yes, goats will kill the trees, if they run out of grass they will strip them.

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Make sure they are not near any buildings if you leave them because they grow really really high and then have a tendency to fall onto things...

Also they will leech all the nutrients out of the ground and no grass or anything will grow well under them...

We had 15 HUGE pinetrees in front of our house, along the old roadbed....we had estimates on having them removed but couldn't afford them....then Alabama Power came on our land illegally and cut some trees they weren't supposed too...so we made a deal with them and they had one of their subcontractors remove this huge trees....the guys from the subcontracting company told us it was a $6000 job! (Because of the nearby phone and power lines as well as our house and the highway!)

That was about five years ago and the grass is just now beginning to grow right where the trees were, in spite of fertilizing and all kinds of stuff.

One of the big trees had fallen across the highway so we had to get rid of them...thought these were just some things you might need to think about!

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I like pine trees :worship: .Dirty needles and sap and all.I would try to save at least some,but then again I find it real hard to cut a tree unless its a threat.
    Sure lots of good advice on this thread.
    BooBoo

13. mightybooboo

Rhododendruns,snap dragons,azaelia,ferns,and hostas will live under pine trees.And vinca grows well too.
    BooBoo

'Bout that vinca,note I posted it as an afterthought.We are at 5000' mtns. and the stuff is a weed up here,nothing will stop it,I spend my life trying to keep it out of the garden beds.Its so pervasive and maddening to me,I had blocked it out in my mind as a defense mechanism! If I get to heaven,and Vinca is there,I'm leaving!! :haha: :haha: :haha:
    BooBoo

Another Vinca story.Go to visit Sis on the flatlands,she says "Look at this pretty flower I found growing wild" and had this cute little vinca plant in her flower garden :eek: :eek: !Wife and I about stroked out!Havent been there in a few months,I have visions of the man eating plant from little shop of horrors completely engulfing her house!
    BooBoo

14. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Thats good to know BooBoo, thanks!

15. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

There are a few very nicely shaped trees along the property lines and we'll leave them. The others are right in the middle of the future goat pens. They're certainly in the way of the view. I grew up under pine trees and am under pine trees now. I really do want to remove at least some of them. Nicely framed views are nice, completely obstructed views are not. I'd much rather have some well placed willows and oaks. The surrounding mountainsides are old growth hardwoods, hickorys and oaks mostly. These trees were not intentionally planted for erosion control. I've already asked the previous landowner about that. They're just doing what pine trees seem to do, reclaiming unused pasture land.

16. swampcedars

swampcedars New Member

The trees will need to go if you plan to build or put in a septic system...don't want roots in the foundation or clogging up the septic.

Goats eat just about everything. My goats stripped the bottom 3-4 feet off some 20' tall pines...the trees just don't have lower branches now.

A great way to treat posts without using preservatives is to char/burn the bottom in a camp fire. Woods that normally rot easily, like pine, will last much better by doing this...I have some at 15 to 20 years.

HTH

17. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

The property is about twice as deep as it is wide. There's already a septic system at the top of the hill and the pines start about halfway down. Their branches start at ground level and go up. They're much different to the pines I'm used to. I'll leave some, but they're growing together already and it's an impenetrable thicket of pine branches. As they get larger, not only will they destroy my view that I paid for, but they'll eventually kill each other off anyhow.

18. mightybooboo

Thats a goody,will file it away.Read in MEN of an old fella who soaked his in old motor oil,and got 20 year+ posts,forget how long he soaked em though.
    BooBoo

19. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I'll probably try that too. I really like the idea about cutting the tops out and using them as Christmas trees. Not sure that I'll sell them though. I'm thinking more like supplying Christmas trees to family instead of buying them gifts. Then I could use the bottoms as posts.

Anyone got good uses for the branches that we'll cut off the posts?

20. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Do you really "own" your view or does someone else own the property that you "view"? The reason I ask is that I'd not be so quick to cut down the trees if you don't actually own your view. Too many times I've heard of people who buy a peice of property that has a lovely view. The problem comes when the owner of the viewed property decides to subdivide it into small lots or puts in chicken barns or logs off all the trees. Neighbors then complain because "their view" was ruined. Heck, it was never "their view" in the first place.

So, if you own your view go ahead and cut down your trees. If you don't own your view, you might want to think about leaving the trees because they might be useful someday as a buffer to block out a possible future view of a logged off forest or chicken barns.