What to do with old catalogs and magazines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mem, Sep 15, 2006.

1. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any ideas about what can be done with old magazines, catalogs, and newspapers? There is no recyling here, and I hate to send them to the landfill. Thanks.

2. jasper

jasper Well-Known Member

I put them thru my paper shredder and use it as mulch. Junk mail and the daily newspaper too

3. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Hang on to'em, outhouses may make a comeback. :rolleyes:

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Was gonna say the same thing! :baby04:

Actually, I've heard that some day soon Manhattan Island will sink into the bay from the weight of all the National Geographic magazines in people attics because they were just too nice to throw away! :nerd:

5. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

Roll them up nice and tight with a rubberband use the fo fire logs.

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We use rolled newspapers in the wood stove during the winter months. I save the big thick catalogs to press wild flowers in, love to use them in card making or stained glass. I save the magazines to make cards. For example, I love to find darling baby photos, combine the photo with special poems, and use them for cards for baby showers. I still have the one someone made me 47 years ago and I treasure it. Also, I use old magazines to make altered books, They are lots of fun to make. I reuse old Reader's Digest Condensed Books. You can watercolor, glue pictures, etc. with them, fold down the pages, then insert tags with funny poems. I love magazines and can also reread them over and over, especially the Mary Engelbreight ones, just love her paintings and colors. The Sunday comic paper makes a cute gift wrap also. Let your creative juices flow.....LOL.

7. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Donate them to a clinic or Dr.'s office for their waiting room.

8. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Roll pages into cylinders, staple, tuck in the bottom, fill with potting soil and VOILA- a biodegradable starter plant pot for your garden seedlings!

9. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Probably lots of us thought the same thing ..some people still do have working outhouses.

Be careful about the mulch ..newspapers are usually ok ..but watch the colored pages of magazines. Sometimes the inks are not real nice for the soil.

10. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

The black and white print pages of newspapers can be mulched as long as they have soy ink

Schools would love to have the magazine and catalogs for art projects.

11. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Freecycle, ad in your local paper or give them away on HT barter board.
    clove

12. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I drop my extras off at the senior center in town. They get picked up in a hurry, most of the folks can't afford mag. subscriptions.

13. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Yes!

Also hospital waiting rooms and homeless shelters.

14. Missourigirl

Missourigirl Member

Newspapers are good for washing windows - house and car. We also used a lot when we wallpapered - Spread them out on a board, glue your wallpaper, then put another layer down to protect the next sheet of wallpaper from spilled glue and stuff.

15. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Put them in your garden and cover with more mulch...ala Ruth Stout...let the weeds die from the weight of public opinion.

16. Tenn_Farmer

Tenn_Farmer Well-Known Member

You could also take them to a nursing home.

17. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

I belong to a forum that lists sites were you can receive free samples of toothpaste, lotions, etc. I send all the samples to our troops in Iraq…to help fill the box I always include old magazines..you can ship a box for $8.10, but you must have a APO number. I contacted my local National Guard and asked from a name where I could mail the box to.

18. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Kudos!

As schoolchildren way back when, we used old magazine news pages -- the ones with the glossier ink and slicker feel -- to make book covers. I'm not sure that would be allowed today. What you can and cannot put on your bookcovers is, I think, regulated in some schools.

Anyway, you might cover some books with them.

19. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Our local library has an alcove set aside for people to leave their magizines to share with others. But you have to be careful, when you go to leave yours you're always tempted to bring home more.

I've heard you shouldn't use the shinging or colored pages in your fireplace something about toxic fumes?

Lots of great ideas guys.

Marlene

20. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

Back in my Single Mom - No Money days, DS was invited to a Bday party. We managed to get a gift for the child but couldn't see paying the outrageous price for gift wrap...so I pulled out an outdated catalog and ripped out some pages from the toy section and used it for the gift wrap. I used more tape than I would otherwise but it was a HUGE hit at the party and saved me money too. Last years' Christmas catalog works for Christmas presents too :)