Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do with green bean plants that are through producing? I know they produce nitrogen--do you pull them up? till them in? I have pulled them up and laid them on another area of the garden to dry out and maybe till in this fall--I do not have a compost pile. Would this invite disease or bugs?

·
Saltine American
6,592 Posts
I just mow them down and at some point till them into the soil.

Reactions: ksfarmer

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
If working into the soil, mow them off and work in as green manure. I let them set beans if green (early) then pull and feed to the goats and chickens. If the plant is spent, I mow and work into the soil. If you let them dry and there are any seeds on them, you work in, the seeds will sprout and grow. Not a bad thing, just another weed to pull....James

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
If you want the maximum nitrogen content in them to go into your garden, it's best to just chop 'em up and work 'em in. The most nitrogen in on the root nodules, of course, but there's a good bit in the stems and leaves. If you pull them roots and all, then the next best thing is to make them into compost and gain the nitrogen later. I've done both.

Then, there's always pig manure.........:)

geo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts