Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what it is actually called, but we call it cane. It grows in abundance around here like bamboo. We have only used them to make fishing poles in the past (cane poles) or staking our tomato plants, but would like to find other uses for them. Perhaps for furniture or craft ideas. Anybody have some suggestions for us? It looks just like bamboo only it is much smaller, on average about 3/4 inch in diameter and it does get pretty slender toward the top which around here is 7-10 feet tall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you all! Spankers!! I did some research and the cane we have around here are called River cane and also Switch cane!!! So, Qvrfullmidwife, it looks like you weren't the first to have that idea LOL!! (love your user name by the way) After doing some brainstorming and searching last night I did come up with these ideas.

Flutes
Blow Guns
Arrows
Baskets
door mats
hot pads
placemats
bird houses
wind chimes
garden trellis

Does anyone here actually do anything with bamboo or cane? If so I wonder if you might share with me some hints or tips on working with it and preserving my work. Like for istance, what would I lash them together with? Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.