What to do with bricks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Apr 27, 2006.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

After having our house built we are left with about 1,000 bricks in
    the front yard leftover from our chimney. The builder refuses to pick them up so we've decided to look at it as a good thing. :grump:

We are thinking of building a firepit out of them and then a brick surround so
    when we pull up our chairs (family style), we'll have a place to put our chairs on without bugs and keep sparks, etc. contained.

I definitely don't want a brick walkway as we live on a hill, you always end up
    with weeds between and hubby's back has problems.

Are there any other fantasic or more worthwhile projects we should consider doing with them? An outside bread oven was a thought, but we weren't sure
    how much i would really use that like a firepit.

2. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Several years ago I dug a small trench around my flowerbeds & used brick at an angle to place around them as a border. Turned out well & they've stayed put for about 5 years.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Pillars at the end of your driveway (if you're the fancy type)
    Raised garden beds (probably only 3 or 4 bricks high unless you want to mortar them)
    Donation to Mammabooh (free delivery, of course)

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Make yerself a nice BBQ pit or some sort of outdoor oven.

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Raised beds for the garden

a patio or walkway

6. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a crackpot with some of my ideas sometimes, but I've always wanted to build a big brick, european style wood stove. Had one in an apartment I had there. It had a tiny little fire box and the smoke traveled through a vertical maze of masonry before it exited out the chimney. You could build a really small fire and let it go out, and the brick would act like a heat sink and stay warm for a day or two. I'm guessing that bricking around a conventional stove would serve as an adequate, albeit less efficient, heat sink.

The Bar-B-Que pit sounds like a great idea.

7. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

After time most regular brick will begin to break up if exposed to direct heat from a fire, need to line the fire area with fire brick. When laying brick in a walk instead of just putting sand between the brick mix morter with the sand sweep between the brick and then wet down with a spray from your garden hose. When they dry you have a weed free walk.

8. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

A fishpond surround? A miniature house for the kids? A herb garden? A shower wall? A fountain?

Save some fot heating up the bed, during the winter (wrap them in a towel).

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

The masonry stove is what I was going to suggest -- sure wish I had a thousand leftover bricks laying around, LOL! The masonry stoves are MUCH more efficient than regular stoves, and use a fraction of the firewood. They are also a lot safer, as the exterior of the masonry mass never heats up enough to be dangerous.

Kathleen

10. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

You may want to store some of them somewhere on your property in case you ever do an addition on your house and want a second chimney or in case you ever need to do a repair on your current chimney (sometimes matching brick can be impossible)

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............All those brick are actually an Asset ! Try ordering a thousand brick and see what they would cost delivered to your home :Bawling: . fordy... :)

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We had leftover brick after building our house and were just tickled pink about it! We've built a brick walkway from the drive to the porch. It's easy to keep weeds from growing between the bricks...just pour boiling water on them and they wither and die. We keep meaning to put Quickrete in the cracks but haven't done so yet. We also used broken bricks to make a flower bed border. We just put the broken ends into the ground and have a cool looking border now. We had thought about using bricks to make a mailbox and we plan to make a brick patio area off the back porch.

In TX I used the leftover bricks stacked on the patio to build my tiny suburban garden. Here's how it turned out:

[​IMG]

13. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

YOU really can't use them much...

I will help you out and take them off your hands.

14. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

If I were in your situation, I'd be out there happily building a lovely brick-enclosed smokehouse..oh yes..I can smell that sausage right now..

15. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

thanks for all the inspiration. So far a brick oven or firepit, etc. seems to bring ideas to mind. Thanks so much for your input. We already put some away for the chimney so i think i will get some ideas together/pics and see
    what interests hubby as well.

thanks again, perennial

16. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

How about a gazebo?

17. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Hey I'm in Virginia, and your in Virginia, and I really need a bunch of bricks to finish off our walkway.............sounds like a plan.
    I love the idea of the outside oven.
    And to brick in the walkway to our gazabo....that would be nice.
    Alice in Virginia

18. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

19. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

well if you dont want to use them for some project a good thing for them is to use them as breaker run rock for a base thats underneath the road rock gravel for your driveway.....perhaps you need to expand your driveway.......theres alot of them underneath my driveway...

20. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Oooo, Bostonlesly, a brick smokehouse, now you are talking!