what to do with allergies?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Mar 7, 2004.

1. I an having a terrible time with allergies. I am allergic to most of the tree pollen around here. Every time I go out I pay for it. I have been outside four times to work in the garden ( and not that long at that ).
    I am trying the allergy shots but, I haven't been at it that long. Allegra 180, singular 10mg. Various inhalers, but still suffering. I might say this is not only a sinus problem but, it causes asthma too.
    What do you do? I don't want to give up my garden, but I can't afford to be sick all the time either. I can't imagine life with no garden. I mean what kind of life would that be? Oh shudder to think! H-E-L-P!!!

2. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

I am an on again/off again co-sufferer (and lover of all I am allergic to: pollen and animals)

How long have you done the injections? I did that years ago, and it was very effective. It does take a while to kick in. I did the injections for about a year. Then my "tolerance" lasted for a good few years after that.

Also, acupucture is very effective as well. Consider trying that.

Do you know any beekeepers close to you? Raw honey from the plants close to you is good (for long term results). The bees are making honey from the stuff you're allergic to, you injest the honey, same theory as the allergy injections.

Michelle

3. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

I don't know what to tell ya, but I sympathize. I'm 42 years old and never had a problem with allergies until 2 years ago. Now, when ever the weather gets above freezing or the air moves up from the south and brings pollen with it, my eyes get red and itchy. Thankfully, over the counter Claritin (generic--Loratadine) and anti histimine eye drops such as Opcon-A work well for me. There's still snow on the ground here, and my eyes are starting in, so I started taking the loratadine daily. I'll be on it 'til October.

You sound like you need a bit more than what I'm taking. Have you tried planting low pollen producing plants, going out in the afternoon (pollen is generally released by plants in the am--or so I've read), wearing a mask, drying your clothes inside,washing your hair at night before going to bed so you don't inhale the pollen that falls off your hair onto your pillow, etc.

I haven't gotten to the point of doing any of those thigns. But then again, I don't suffer too badly.

4. Hughes

Hughes Well-Known Member

You've got some good advice so far! I'm doing the allergy shots, but only use the albuterol for the asthma.......the steroidal inhalers can cause ALOT of problems hormonally (Dr.s won't tell you that as many don't know it. ) And there is a sodium chromolate(Intal) inhaler that is a preventative inhaler that is NOT steroidal, and while it takes a couple of weeks to kick in, it really reduces the need for the albuterol, and is not as dangerous as the steroidals, though it doesn't work as quick as the steroidals which is why it's not as popular).

If you are a female, I would definitely have your hormones checked, estrogen dominance can make allergies WORSE and because of our food and water supplies in this country it is VERY COMMON for women to be estrogen dominant. Read Dr. Lee's book, either "What your doctor didn't tell you about pre-menopause" or "What your doctor didn't tell you abou menopause". And don't think you're too young for premenopausal symptoms (such as severe allergies) as it's also known as PMS in the younger crowd. Getting my hormones rebalanced using natural progesterone cream has helped my allergy symptoms more than any asthma medications and has made me feel better in other ways that I didn't realize were "wrong".

Hope this is helpful to you.

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

You sound like my mother. She was trying everything, Shots, pills etc. She is now taking a over the counter allergy pill. Its called A.R.M. Not sure what it stands for but its found at Wal Mart, Longs drugs, and Walgreens.. MOst times its sold out, so whenever we find it we buy a bunch LOL... But she has now quit going to her dr for the allergies, and she no longer needs shots, the perscriptions etc... She swears by this stuff...

6. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

as a sufferer of allergies, i can vouch for the acupuncture\oriental medicine route. it worked for me. then i ran out of money and went to drugs, which in my case were cheaper.

i'm trying to get to a more wholesome lifestyle--get away from so many chemicals etc. i'm hoping that long-term this'll help.

good luck.

7. Hughes, It's funny you should mention steroids. I take prednisone (oral)40mgs. maintenance at this point. Am trying to go down but not much luck yet. Been on this and inhailed steroids for several years now. Have tried most all of the different inhalers. I have BIG problems with chemicals too. I have only been on the shots for about 5 weeks now. Can't see any difference ( except in my bank account ) Not covered by insurance. Cost me 29 dollars a week just to get the shot. 14.50 a shot and I get one in each arm. Don't know how long I will be able to do it at that price either.

8. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

RANDEL, you are on to something. Suffered for 27 years with allergies. When I moved to the country they seemed to get worse.....

Then I started eating better..local honey, lots of homegrown food(garlic, peppers, everything else I could grow, drinking apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon with lemon and ice water, a great summertime drink). Also started eating some Omega 3 food supplement and quit smoking as well.

I believe it has something to do with the immune system. My allergies have dissappeared.

mc

9. Hughes

Hughes Well-Known Member

"Hughes, It's funny you should mention steroids. I take prednisone (oral)40mgs. maintenance at this point. Am trying to go down but not much luck yet. Been on this and inhailed steroids for several years now. Have tried most all of the different inhalers. I have BIG problems with chemicals too. I have only been on the shots for about 5 weeks now. Can't see any difference ( except in my bank account ) Not covered by insurance. Cost me 29 dollars a week just to get the shot. 14.50 a shot and I get one in each arm. Don't know how long I will be able to do it at that price either."

Unregistered, if there's any way that you could visit with a naturopathic pharmacist, do it. They are full of information both about modern and traditional medicines.

Allergies/asthma is an over-reaction of the immune system...and the steroids are only supressing the symptoms....getting to the cause of the over-reactive immune system is going to be better in the long run.....steroids cause cortisol imbalances, shrink your adrenal gland, cause bone loss.....yuck.

I wish you luck.