Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rain got to 'em, caused big cracks, but they still look fine for cooking or freezing. Got any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jelly?

I remember my dad making some kind of alcoholic beverage from plums. All I remember is the lid blowing off five gallon buckets in the kitchen and copper coils above the stove.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Send them to me! LOL You can make plum preserves, jelly, jam, juice.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i made an awesome wine one year from a neighbor's bumper crop of stanley plums.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Wine was my first thought also.

Grannyclampett: Your grandfather was making plum brandy. First he would make wine then distill it down to brandy. My cousins in Croatia make it.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
The usual mentioned stuff, plus we've made plum syrup, which is good over ice cream or as a flavored syrup over pancakes. And we use the juice for cobblers...

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
I don't remember exactly how she did it but Mom used to make something she called plum butter, similar to apple butter. Good stuff on biscuits.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
When you run out of those "other ideas"......you can ALWAYS dry them......and have prunes :rolleyes:

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

How about stewed plums or plum wine?

RF

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
SLIWOWICZ! (slivovitch) the above mentioned plum brandy. I loved it in Poland and Germany and think Saki is similar. Dunno how to make it but you start with plum wine which is alos pretty good before distillation.

·
72 Posts
plum jam/jelly I recently put up. I didn't run it through a cup towel, so it isn't jelly, but there isn't much pulp like a jam. I put it through a a colander.

if anybody wants a write up, I can do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
grannyclampett said:
Jelly?

I remember my dad making some kind of alcoholic beverage from plums. All I remember is the lid blowing off five gallon buckets in the kitchen and copper coils above the stove.
Very popular in E. Europe and Jewish communities: Shlibovitz or Palinka! I would go with the jam though.... :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Once while being very, very broke I looked out in our yard. I could see the ole plum tree and I do not like plums. But I looked in an old recipe book and made plum pie! It was very tasty -like cherry pie kind of. We ate several of those pies that week and the next. No one complained.
motivated

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
On wine making in volume I have friends in IN who do so. They built a portable cart. In middle is an old kitchen sink with a garbage disposal under it. On one end is a press. In this case they would take out the pit and put the rest through the disposal, catching what comes out in a 5-gallon bucket. In the press they use old pillowcases. The juices which come out of the case then are caught and poured into 5-gallon jars. They add sugar and champaign yeast (which they say works better for them than wine yeast). This is caped with a bubbler and goes off to ferment.

I don't remember if they added any water to the juice beyond any needed to pulverize the fruit through the disposal.

Most of the pillowcase contents then goes to their rabbits, chickens and doves, although they do not give apple residue to the rabbits due to the seeds in them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts