Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dug out a bunch of clay soil for a foundation that I'm adding on to my house. It is almost all clay. Where could I use the dirt, as I need to get it moved ASAP. A neighbor stopped by and asked to buy it for a foundation under a driveway.

·
Premium Member
26,588 Posts
Clay under a driveway is terrible, but that would be a good way to get rid of it. Otherwise just use it to fill in low spots in your yard.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Yeah, the last thing I would want on my driveway is clay! It might be great when dry, but once good and wet, it is a nightmare!

Here is something useful you can actually use this stuff for: Make a raised mound over 2" thick insulating foam. Cover with some good soil on the top. Then build a cold frame over it. The clay will retain moisture that would otherwise be easily lost. The raised bed over insulation warms quickly. I can have green beans by the end of June where as many have barely planted them by us in N. WI. I have posted on this before, but I will include a photo below of what I did. And yes, I used red clay. When the weather gets warm enough I take off the plastic.

As far as "washing away" I would not count on it. This can be some pretty immovable stuff.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Perhaps find the online COB home builder hangouts, and see if anyone building local to your area will come get it? Craigslist or otherwise ...

COB ... mix clay, sand and straw ...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps find the online COB home builder hangouts, and see if anyone building local to your area will come get it? Craigslist or otherwise ...

The neighbor who would like it to build a drive said he would buy it. I'm just looking for some ideas to use it on my place rather than get rid of it and then later wish I had it.

·
Premium Member
26,588 Posts
As for washing away, it depends on how much water runs through the ditch and how long the clay has to settle and pack before the ditch carries a lot of run-off. If you spread and pack the clay and it is months before the ditch gets a lot of fast moving water, the clay would very likely stay in place.

The little waterway on one side of my property is down to the clay base. It seems to hold up pretty well as long as I keep leaves out of it.

·
Gadabout
3,084 Posts

Or make a cob building yourself. I made a small wall out of cob once, about a foot high. The instructions I had said to cover it with lime once it was dry. I didn't do that, I just left it. I wanted to see how long it took for it to dissolve and wash away. After 2 years, I finally just let the kids tear it down. Surprising how strong something so simple can be.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
I'd let the neighbor have it if they load and haul it.
The entire township around here is clay and all of our driveways and homes sit atop clay. Have not seen any catastrophic problems from it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd let the neighbor have it if they load and haul it.
The entire township around here is clay and all of our driveways and homes sit atop clay. Have not seen any catastrophic problems from it.
That's what I'll probably do. I got enough stuff to do without messing with it so it's sounding like the best option.

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
If you can sell it sell it!

a good clay packed down well makes a good road base. You need it built up high to shed water, you need grass established on the sides, you need gravel crowned on top, and you need drainage in the low spots to keep water from soaking up into it.

but, that is -the- way to make a good solid long lasting driveway bed! The clay becomes a hard solid base, as long as you do the proper water control I mention. It has to shed water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts