What to do with 800-1000 # of red wheat???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ann Mary, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

My family was given 800-1000# of hard red wheat from the field this year and I need ideas on how to use it up before bugs mess it up. I am feeding it to the chickens, of course, but do any of you out there have any ideas??? I am allergic to wheat bread unless I sprout it first and I will do that but?????? :shrug: What else?? :shrug: The part I am saving for baking I dusted with D.E. and put in some bay leaves but I can't do that with all of it. Please help!!! Thanks! :goodjob:

2. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

If you got the wheat free it might be worth investing in some food grade 5-gallon buckets to store it in. Be sure to freeze it before storing to kill any bugs that might be in it already.

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe you can can textured protein. And isn't hard wheat what that's made of? I'd check out vegitarian websites and look for seitan, maybe?

I don't think you could eat that much, Maybe you should barter some for other provisions you need like meat or honey.

4. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Md Tn Mama, I think you may be thinking of gluten patties rather than TSP or TVP.

Gluten patties can be made from the gluten found in wheat. The basic idea is to grind the grain, and then mix enough water with it to make a dough. Then you rinse the dough in several changes of water. Eventually you are left with the "wheat meat". This can be flavored with a broth or made into patties. I am not sure if you can can it but I would imagine that you could or your could at least freeze it. I myself have never made it but I have played around with the dough scraped from the bottom of my bosch and it will indeed become gluten patties. There are others here who can give you a better idea of how to do this than I can. Allthough I am not sure if you can eat it if you cannot tolerate bread. But it would be worth a try. If worst comes to worst and you just cannot figure out a way to use this wheat, you could grind it and give it to a local food pantry. Did you know that if it is stored in food grade buckets you can use that wheat for a long long time. You may not have to buy wheat for a couple of years!!! Hope this helps
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Feed out a couple of pigs on the wheat.

6. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Barter some of it for the other things that you need. :happy:

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Can you say 'home brew'?

8. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

OOOOHHHhhhh man i wish i could get some hard red wheat, wyou can't get it in georgia. :(

Heres how you can store it indefinately. Take 2 liter bottles or even 1 gallon bottles that water comes in with screw caps.
    fill with wheat. take a thumb size piece of dry ice and press down into top of wheat and cap off. The dry ice will kill any critters as well as keep the wheat dry. Store your wheat out of the light in a dry cool area. The wheat will last you at least 5 -8 years in this manner.

If you have a need to get rid of any of that wheat, you can ship me 100 pounds of it :D hehe

9. dot

dot Well-Known Member

Skruzich, you CAN get hard red wheat in Georgia. Try breadbeckers.com. Not far from you.

10. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

mitch is right.... alcohol made from the wheat is pretty good for certain uses... and the mash left over when dried goes from 17% protien level from whaeatberries to over 40%, some as high as 44% protien by weight.... kinda makes a person wonder why it isnt done more often.

being allergic to wheat could be just alergic to the gluten and by sprouting it changes chemical structure, making alcohol does so similarly [change the chemical make up of the wheatberrie. something to think about..... not sure about how much alchol a person would get from wheat per bushel... mayhaps about 5 gallons or so of 200 proof [harder than hades to achieve on a home scale]. and a still is easy to make if you wanna run the alchol for fuel it might take a double run through the still though.

William

11. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

12. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

um, a still runs off about 190 proof ethanol - an azeotrope boils off. Gotta go thru a few steps to increase it (other chemicals and/or molecular sieves) and it usually ain't worth it

13. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Making bread, muffins etc. to sell?
    I have my wheat in white food buckets with bay leaves. Never had a problem.

14. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the advice...but I don't drink alcohol...but the pig idea is interesting! How would I go about taking a couple piglets and raise them up on wheat??? I"m sure I would need to supplement corn too??? Would I have to have the wheat ground? I don't have a way of doing that. Could I feed them wheat the whole time or not? I don't remember how much protein is in hard red winter wheat...does anyone know?? Thanks for the advice!