What to do with 8 Scotties?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, May 29, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

3 1/2 years ago my wife got my a little female 1/2 Scottie, 1/2 Cairn Terrier puppy. She was just a month old and some old bat that ran a puppy mill south of here had her for sale for $150. She isand has been my constant companion, a real joy: and the best mouse, ground squirrel, and Red squirrel catching dog I've ever seen.

Anyway, every time she came into "heat" she would wait about 2 months and then "have puppies". Not real puppies, but rather she would gather her squeeky toys into a nest and mother them for the next month or two. The first time it happened I called the vet and he said some dogs go through this "pseudo" pregnancy and will do so until neutered or they have real puppies.

In the meanwhile, my youngest daughter got married and I found out that her new in-laws have a registered male Scotty terrier. This past march I decided to let my little companion have her "real" puppies and took her to visit Conner the Scotty.

I figured she would have 2 or 3 puppies; 1 for a daughter-in-law who has been begging me to let her have pups, and 2 to act as guardians of my barnyard and live in the barn.

Well..., "the best laid plans" and all that, Thistle (my dog's name) had 8 puppies: 7 solid black and 1 brindle like her, 4 males and 4 females. The brindle puppy is also a female.

So here I am with eight 3/4 Scotty terrier and 1/4 Cairn terrier puppies. Even if I give one to my DIL and keep two for barnyard guardians, I'm left with 5 of these wonderful little ball chasing, vermin eradicators to find homes for.

But in the end, Thistle has live puppies for once, at least. The poor dear can barely gring herself to leave the nest box to eat, drink, or go outside to do her business. She has had lots of practise being a mommy, and now is being a good one.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put an ad in the paper and sell them.. I hear that they sell for $150. $1200 ain't chicken feed!

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I are sitting here chuckling. :haha: You poor soul. Those are terriers, only we call them terrors.

Don't get us wrong. We love terriers as we had two Yorkies! Terriers are stubborn as mules and smart as can be and they usually think that they are Great Danes.

Good luck...and no, I don't want one....no, I don't want to even think about that....hmmmm......no, Ardie, no, no, no! :no:

4. i would like one if you are thinking of selling the rest
    my mother loves scottie's, westies and cairn terriers. Well you have 2 of the breeds coverd. She has been wanting to get a dog since all of her human childern have flewen the nest lol. well let me know. where do you lve in Mn we live in wi and travel to mn alot

Thanks
    Frontier_oaks

5. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

:) Terriers are awesome dogs. Mine is smart as a whip, but stubborn as a mule. He loves to sneak up on the bed and lay between us. If we so much as breath, he growls, jumps off the bed, and jumps back on 15 minutes later. He opens doors for me, knows which seat in the car is his, and won't eat his special allergy food unless I pour water over it. :) He's a great mouser, too. heh...He thinks he's as big as a great dane, too. He tries to fight my soon-to-be brother-in-law's pitbull. eek!

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Haggis, where in Minnesota are you? I have been desperatly seekin a vermin dog. My poultry tend to attract rodents. I am in Milaca. My email is tinknal@hotmail.com

7. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I live about 65 miles north of Duluth, Minnesota, near a little town called Eveleth.
    I will be selling the little Scotties as they get old enough.

My Thistle plays tirelessly with me or my 10 Grandkids, loves to chase a ball or play soccer. She will not give up on a mouse or ground squirrel once she has it cornered. If she trees a Red squirrel she has found around the barn, chicken coop, or rabbitry she keeps it up the tree until I get a rifle and shoot it out to her. Yet she seems to know what is part of our farm and what is vermin.

My son says he's never seen a dog with such an ability to read minds. I only tell her what I want her to do and she seems to understand and go from there.

My greatest wish is that the little ones end up in a loving homestead type situation chasing varmints, or as a best buddy to someone like myself who doesn't get ot much.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Haggis, my place is dog heaven. 27 acres, and plenty of critters to torment.:)
    I will try to save a little money. I'm also open to trade. (can't think of what right now)

9. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I sure hope that you are able to place the puppies with loving homes! Good luck & Best Wishes!

10. ohhhh, I want to see pics! My guys would love a new friend (two adorable 1.5 years old yorkies).

[​IMG]

Mel-

11. Ardie/WI

Oh thank you for the pic! So darling! Someday....someday we'll be owned by a Yorkie or two again.....

12. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

ARdie, have you thought about rescue? We see a LOT of yorkies in rescue, especially the guys over 3.

Cait

13. LQ

LQ Guest

So Haggis, are you going to get a clue and get your dog spayed? You do know she is real vulnerable to breast cancer pyometrea and some other conditions, especially since she is prone to false pregnancies? Did your Veterinarian tell you this? If not he/she should have.

Good luck with the pups. Hope you find good homes for all of them.

LQ

14. KathyInNy

KathyInNy Member

"Get a clue"???? Wow, whats that about. The man obviously cares deeply about his dog and her puppies. If you actually read the original post he had been in contact with a vet from the outset. Sorry, I may have misinterpreted but that just seemed extremely rude and uncalled for.

15. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

LQ,
    I don't know if you're trying to flame me on with that "get a clue" business, but I probably won't get her spayed. It's not likely I'll let her breed again, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

My vet did not tell me that "she is real vulnerable to breast cancer pyometrea and some other conditions" or any other problems, but I do know that as long as anything: animal or vegetable is healthy there is a chance it will become ill, and as long as anything: animal or vegetable is alive there is a chance it will die.

A few years ago one of my daughters was diagnosed with uterine cancer while she was pregnant with her first child. The doctor recommended an abortion and removal of the uterus. My daughter said she would never kill her child to save herself. Several years have gone by and the cancer is gone and she has two more beautiful children. Doctors know some stuff, but the world is not all gloom and doom.

My little Scotties already have a good home for life, unless I make contact with some folks who will love them as much as I do and provide for them as well as I will.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

16. Ardie/WI

Regarding adopting a Yorkie....it wouldn't be a good idea right now for us. We have two cats in the house and an inside/outside shepherd-lab mix doggie. I also have some disabilities and my mobility is limited. We are now living in a large old farmhouse and the thought of dealing with another pet is daunting. We've discussed getting one, but I'm afraid that my other pets wouldn't get the attention they deserve. Heck, the big doggie doesn't get as much as I'd like him to.

Now about LQ,don't mind her. Her bark is worse than her bite. ;)