Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
antibiotics,fluid,lots of rest. Is there any thing else. My son is very sick. thank you,nancy

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,806 Posts
These ideas are just what I'd do for me or a family member.

Zinc lozenges - drug store item where you find the cough drops

Slippery elm, goldenseal, echinacea capsules - health food store

Garlic in whatever food he will eat.

Tylenol if his throat is very sore.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
After he is about 2/3 through the antibiotics, change his toothbrush so that he won't catch it from that again.

I also like to drink the 'throat coat' teas which really help soothe the throat.

Dawn

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Honey and lemon in some warm water. Tastes TERRIBLE but it sure helps the throat. Chicken broth is good too.

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
Sounds gross but gargling with as warm as you can stand it and as salty as you can stand it salt water helps when I have strep.

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. water. Gargle, swallow, gargle, swallow. Repeat every 15 minutes until he is feeling better. It may take a couple of hours. Then once an hour until bed. If he wakes at night have him do it then. Second day, every 2 hours. For good measure I have them repeat on the third day every four hours. It works so well we have not need antibiotics for strep in the last two years (I have them tested as soon as I can get them in to be sure it is gone, but this can take 2-3 days here). Now whenever a sore throat threatens the ask for the vinegar water. The kids know they will feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
To save money you can boil his toothbrush for about 5 minutes. You can also soak all the toothbrushes in Listerine to kill any bacteria, that'll help it not spread.

Kat

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Most very sore throats are not strep throat.

For strep throats go to a doctor and get the proper treatment after they confirm that it is indeed strep throat. My prescription a few months ago was six pills, taken two the first dose then one a day thereafter until gone.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
A water bottle with a long drinking straw that will let him 'shoot' the water down the back of his throat will help if it hurts to swallow.

It's really easy to get dehydrated.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
tylenol alternate with motrin (or generics) as needed for pain and grumpiness

·
Debbie
263 Posts
largentdepoche said:
To save money you can boil his toothbrush for about 5 minutes. You can also soak all the toothbrushes in Listerine to kill any bacteria, that'll help it not spread.

Kat

you can also put it in the dishwasher...........

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Gargle in salt water and eat pickles not sure why but it seems to pull the soreness out ......Oh and lots of icecream my kids must eat lots of ice cream lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
isnt it communicable? if so, id try to keep his germs corralled so nobody else has to go to the dr. i like the idea for the toothbrushes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My mother always makes people hot totties for strep. I believe it's Lemon tea with honey(1tbsp) and liquor(about 1/2 a shot). Depending on the age of the child I'd give him that. If he's real young I would leave out the honey. Honey is toxic(to small children) and could make him sicker because he doesn't have an adult immune system so even if he was well honey would make him sick so him being sick I'd imagine honey wouldn't be something he needed to take in right now. I have not personally tried the honey thing, I was told by a Pediatric Nurse Practicioner. She was one for 30+ years so I figure she knew what she was talking about. :shrug:

·
In Remembrance
1,625 Posts
Be aware that it is possible for the infection to migrate to other body parts. DD had it migrate to kidneys. Blood and kidney cells found in urine. Hospital, massive antibiotics, function test...OK. Rare but apparently can happen. Just be vigilant for a few weeks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'll second the garlic. Man is that one of Gods greatest medicines. Cured the entire family last winter. We took nothing else but Garlic and upped our fluids to help flush the crud out. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts