What to do for Eye Injury?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pony, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm really having a week here... :no:

Stabbed myself in the eye with the corner of a sheaf of papers yesterday. Thought it would get better by this morning, but it's worse: stinging, feels like my eyelashes are inside out, watery, photophobic (you'd be surprised how low you can turn the brightness on your computer screen....)

ANYway, does anyone have a home remedy for a scratched cornea? I'm going to the doctor in a few hours (how fortunate I already have an appointment for something else), but in the meantime, I'm awfully miserable.

Help?

Pony!

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

An eye patch will block the light, but if the cornea itself is scratched significantly, the eye needs to be immobilized or just the motion under the eyelid can worsen the scratch and cause scarring that will lead to blindness. A home eye pressure patch can cause problems too if you don't know what you are doing. If it is worse the second day you should see an ophthalmologist

3. Pony

Thanks, George.

I did not know that a corneal scratch can get worse with motion -- makes me want to hold the eyelid open!

Now I'm wondering: How is the eye immobilized? Mine moves around even when I concentrate on holding it very still.

I know the cornea is scratched (I've done that before...) but don't know how bad it is. I'll just continue to use warm compresses until I see the doc at 9:15. Hope she's running on schedule...

For as fast as eye injuries can heal, they sure hurt like the dickens!

Pony!

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I've done that twice & it will drive you crazy until you can get to the doctor. The good news is that the eye heals incredibily fast. I got some antibiotic drops that stopped the pain almost instantly the second time I did it, but the firtst time (different doctor) I had to take shots & wear an eye patch for a few days.

5. Pony

Well, first time I had an eye injury, I got scratched by a very enthusiastic Irish Setter. It was probably about 30 years ago. Had a shot of some serious painkiller (demerol, I think it was), and had to wear a patch for days and days, in addition to antibiotic drops and more oral pain killers.

I will definitely ask my doc about the drops you had. This pain is so irritating, it's not a drive to crazy, just a short putt!

Pony!

6. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Got hit in the eye with a pen point in school. Hurt like the Dickens! It turned out it actually made a small hole through the eyelid into the eye. Needed lots of saline to clean it out in the ER. A few days later the opthomologist cleaned it some more. Some of my eyelashes where stuck in that hole and he had to pluck them out. Ouch! Nearly kicked the Dr on reflex. There was some bruising for a few days and the eyeball itself took a few months to completely heal.

To make the nasty red wound in my eye less noticible I wore "fashion" glasses that just had clear lenses. If I turned my eye a certain way it did show and I could see that people where trying to hide their repulsion. Today the only remaining evidence is that a few of my eyelashes grow the opposite direction of the rest. I use an eyelash curler to correct them.

I am glad to see that you are going to the doctor. Take it easy as much as possible until then. A patch would probably be a good idea as a precaution.

7. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

The antibotic eye drops that I got when I scratched my eye is made by Baush&Loom. (sp?) They make contacts and contact care products. As I am slightly klutzy when it comes to taking out my contacts, I use these drops about once a week. :no: The drops take the sting out right away!

8. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Use thegood eye as little as possible. :Last time I had my eye patched for an injury I kept on the computer and reading and the bad eye wil move intandem with the good eye even if patched. So my bad eye still hurt.

9. Pony

The doc prescribed an ocular Nsaid. I forget the name right now, but it stings like the dickens when I first put the drop in my eye.

Add to that, I am tearful because it is taking the #&%#!*$ insurance company forever to get to our Jeep (it's STILL at the impound lot!) AND they sent me a mess of papers to fill out and have notarized (fer cryin' out loud!), AND they want receipts from oil changes and service and stuff. We do all that ourselves... So anyway, it hurts to cry, and I've been crying.

Doc says if my eye isn't better by tomorrow, I'm supposed to call her. I hope it's better.

Pony!