What to do at killing time?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Mama C, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

OK,
    We have raised rabbits to eat before, but the husband,( who is an avid hunter)
    cannot stand killing the rabbits. He says they know he is coming and they scream. I have been with this man for 20yrs and it is the only time I have ever seen him like this!! Is there an easy humane way to kill them? something I can do? :help:

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Humane, affordable and ethical culling methods.

Do you know how to do a search? You can look for the thread with the above title. We had quite a discussion on killing rabbits on this thread, and hopefully, your questions will be answered. If not, or if you can't find the thread on a search, I'll come back & help you out. Good Luck.

NeHi Mama

3. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh,
    Thanks so much, that was a very informative thread!!
    Poor hubby was doing the old grab and bash method. I have my own 410 shotgun as well as a 22 rifle, but the bb gun may be safer in the barnyard. Yipee, that means mama gets to go shopping!! :clap:

4. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

Do the rabbits really scream when they see him coming? They must be a lot smarter than ours. Our rabbits have no idea of whats fixing to happen. Does he spend time with them on a regular basis? I do most of the feeding, water, breeding, weighing, etc. The only time they spook on me is if I forget to talk to them when I approach. I learned very early in life to always let an animal know I coming, before I get close.

I kill rabbits one of two ways.

1) Hold the rabbit around the loin with one hand and strike it on the back or top of the head with a steel bar. Then hang it by one leg and cut it's throat. You must use a razor sharp knife to get through the fur. The cut needs to reach the neck bone and you must take care not to cut yourself. The blow to the head will kill the rabbit or render it unconscious. A perfect blow to the back of the head will also dislocate the neck vertabrae and decapitation may result when you cut the throat.. Now the rabbit will still jump around from random electrical impulses firing through the nervous system. The same as a chicken with it's head cut off.

2) Put the rabbit in an open top cage or box and place some food/treat in there to make it lower it's head. Use a very powerful pellet gun (not your usual BB/pellet gun) or a .22 RF pistol/carbine/rifle and shoot it in the back of the head. Angle the shot to exit between the "V" of the jaw and towards the front. If a cage is used, it must have an open bottom as well or the bullet may hit the wire and ricochet. Also, this must be done over soft ground that has been inspected for any burried hard objects. We don't want any bullets or other things bouncing back at us! When using a pistol, I just go to one knee and hold the rabbit by the loin with one hand. However, this must be done with extreme caution! I have been handling firearms since I was a young boy and am comfortable doing this. I do not recommend anyone else do this unless they are VERY familiar with firearms and ammunition. As an example, I have fired more ammunition in one afternoon than most hunters do in a life time. I also reloaded and tested ammo for many years and am therfore very knowledgable about what bullets can and can not do. I am not bragging here. It's just that there are folks that read these posts that are not experienced with firearms and I do not want anyone to get hurt. There is nothing wrong about using firearms. I do it all the time. Just remember---safety first and always!

There are other ways to slaughter rabbits, but these two methods have always worked best for me.

Good luck,
    MikeL

P.S.: Use eye protection if using any kind of firearm, including BB/pellet guns! I too have been a hunter all my life and it still bothers me to kill animals. That's a good thing. I do it because it is necessary. Either I do it or someone else has too. The day it stops to bother me.....that's when I'll start to worry.

5. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,
    Hubby only goes into the rabbit pen when its "that" time, the first one is ok, but then the rest seem to know whats coming and thats when he has the problem.
    I have never been with him at this time but the kids have been telling me what goes on. I love to eat rabbit, but raising them and then killing them is not top of my list. I hunt as well, but cant make myself shoot rabbit, too cute. I can raise and eat the cows, chickens, pigs and rabbits, just havnt made myself kill them yet. But, I am going to have to get over that, baby steps :rolleyes:

6. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Giggle!!! I was having the same problem (cattle ranch raised where butchering was done all my life) UNTIL one of the chicks I hatched decided to start spurring my hand everytime I opened their cage (he is with one duck in a 3x3.5 cage) to refill their waterer since he was 4 weeks old. His name is sunday. And I cant wait till he's big enough to hit him in the head with a pipe. nod. He's my BIG baby step. grin.

7. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Shotting rabbits, be careful... Eye protection isn't going to protect you if that .22 bounces off something and comes back at you.

I know this has been covered numerous times, but for fryers just dislocate the neck. It takes about 2 seconds, doesn't need any tools, the rabbit doesn't suffer. You can search the archive on how to do it.

Older animals are a bit harder, I'll give you that.

8. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

Have your HUBY feed and care for them in 0 degree weather, then there is no problem at butchering time !!

9. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

You are all great!! :rock:

Joy, I get your giggle, around here when a rooster decides he wants to start attacking anyone, hubby always comes in and informs me he took my rooster "for a spin" LOL
    You and I will be brave little homesteaders this fall :D ( I hope)

10. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I think I just blew milk out my nose......giggle. :bow:

My mom keeps telling me we ought to do him that way and I can just SEE it getting screwed up somehow. I know she's been doing this all her life, but she's getting up there and I can just SEE her spinning him around her head once and then him slipping and her acidentally hurling him 20 feet and then him getting away. giggle. I think stepping on his feet and twisting his neck ought to be the easiest way, but giggle.....just pictureing mom swinging that chicken has me rolling....I just KNOW its a bad idea. giggle. She says one more week and hes a cornish game hen (which is kinda ironic since hes not a girl...but hey). Hes taken to attacking the duck (whose actully bigger than he) and I value the duck (the only one Ive hatched on my own) WAY more than a little WL dinner wantabe. GASP.....yup.....d@m that was funny. giggle!!! (sorry ...easily amused)

11. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I really like putting the rabbit on the ground, placing a stick across the back of the neck, step on teh stick on eighter side of the head and grab the 2 back legs and pull up.

There is no muss, fuss or screaming. I learned this from carrie shepard and it is so easier than the bash method for me.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I use the 'bash' method (such a descriptive term!)

I don't have the hand strength anymore to dislocate the neck. I've tried the broomstick method, and can't do that, either. Using a loud weapon of any sort upsets all the rest of the animals.

So...I take a rabbit out to where we butcher, bop it on the back of the head, and it's over. It takes me 8 minutes to collect a rabbit, slaughter, skin and butcher it. Then back for the next one. No animal is allowed to see what's happening, so there is no anticipation. And all those people who ask how I could possibly butcher something as sweet and beautiful as my angora rabbits...I show the scars down my arm from crazy mad rabbit...and they shut up.

Meg