What to do about slugs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Nancy in Maine, May 29, 2005.

1. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

I suspect slugs are eating my squash seedlings. I know about beer traps.....is there anything else I can sprinkle around the plants to deter the slugs? Salt won't work because it's been so rainy it would just dissolve. Isn't diotemaceous earth (sp) or something like that supposed to kep them away?

2. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Yes it is supposed to work. I have also heard that the slugs will not cross a copper line.
    steff

3. Nancy in Maine

4. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

you can also try this...
    save your eggshels and break them up, not teeny-tiny, just loosely, and put them around your plants. the slugs can't cross over them because it hurts/cuts their soft bodies.

i do this around my swiss chard and lettuces and it really works
    debbie

5. Nancy in Maine

Oh! That sounds easy enough for me to do. Thanks Debbie. :)

6. Susan n' Emily in TN

Susan n' Emily in TN Well-Known Member

I have heard recently about a product called "grani grit". It is intended for use with chickens for the grit that they need to digest. It is actually ground up granite. It will not melt as oyster shell would, so it lasts forever. Evidently, you make a ring around the plant you want to protect and the slugs won't cross it. I am going to treat the area around my hostas first and see how it works. You can pick it up at the feed stores. pretty cheap but very heavy!!! Susan

7. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

garden's alive carries Es-Car-Go it is a bait that uses iron phosphate to kill the snails and slugs. Safe for other critters. I use it around my hostas and strawberries. Love it.

8. CherieOH

CherieOH Well-Known Member Supporter

Another fan of Garden's Alive Es-Car-Go here. I've tried DE, beer, you name it. Nothing was as effective as this product. My hostas look great now.

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

You can also make a line of wood ashes sprinkled as a perimeter of the garden.

10. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

Something else that's supposed to work is hair. Plain old loose hair from your brush. Guess it tangles them up or something. Of course, chickens are really good for getting rid of slugs. Unfortunately, they ate up the crushed eggshell I had around my plants and weren't around when the snails and slugs came back!

11. justanacre

justanacre Member

epson salts sprinkled around the plant works for me.

12. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to set up a fenced run surrounding your garden and put ducks on patrol...Ducks are great for slugs, BUT you can't let them into the garden (no matter what any books say about it being okay once the garden is well-grown up) because they will either eat your plants or waddle all over and stomp it. Thanks to ducks, I only have a problem with itty-bitty tiny baby slugs. And they are a pain, especially with new seedlings. Zip, zip, zip. (Hey, what happened to those seeds I planted...) Spritzing with ammonia water makes them very unhappy, but you must re-apply after rain and heavy dew.

I have serious doubts about the eggshell method because I have seen slugs on just about every possible surface, including the dog. I am also not convinced that diatomaceous earth does anything, for the same reason. Definitely do not put salt on your soil unless you want to kill your soil. I don't know what the effect of iron phosphate is on soil chemistry. Epsom salts (disolved in water) are recommended for getting lots of blooms on your tomato plants, but spreading large quantities of the straightstuff might mess up your soil balance, I don't know.

Did I mention ducks?...

13. momof42003

momof42003 New Member

My grandmother uses plain ol cheap beer... She places it in a jar lid (like Prego or Ragu), and places several around the garden and no more slugs or snails.. This is more organic than chemicals too....Just my two cents worth.

14. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the crushed eggshells too and it does work very well.
    Mickey

15. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

My garden didn't have one slug in this morning due to me putting the beer traps in various spots. I use cat food cans to put it in. Finally found something to do with all that beer that friends would leave at my house! The slugs had been having a feast in my garden every night until I started doing this.