Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The person who lived here before left their cats. In the three months between their moving out and our moving in, these cats have gone feral I guess. I can't catch them. We have to actually sit in the barn/shed with our own cats to make sure they get to eat their own food. I am concerned about illnesses being given to my cats...
I know if I call animal control around here, they will be put down. At this time, they would not make good pets. I don't know what to do, but I may not have a choice. There isn't a cat rescue group out there is there? Would anybody be able to take cats like these and re-tame them? I know I can't keep them. I hate for them to die b/c somebody just abandoned them, but my own cats have to eat and stay healthy. There was a cat fight today between our male cat and the male stray. Not pleasant. I am at my wits end. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stray and feral cats are a disease spreading nuisance!

Pick up a live trap (from the animal shelter). Trap the cats and keep them in kennels for about a week. They tame up really fast once they realize they are finally safe again. I get little cardboard boxes with a tiny amount of the cheapest clay litter and toss the boxes every other day. This minimizes a lot of the care and yuckness.

When they are handle-able in a week or 2, take them into the shelter.

Do it before they breed and you have 20 disease-ridden parasite-infested cats to control!

this has worked for me and the 5th generation feral cat colony here. Down to 2 females...from 20!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Vanne, good for you. So many people would have simply shot the feral cats.

I would keep my cats inside until the wild ones are caught. Do you have a large dog crate to keep them in? They like a larger container with a perch. If you don't have a large crate, your animal shelter or similar organization may loan you one. They will probably also loan you the live trap.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
this is why i don't like most cat owners. the reasob they are likely to be put down is because there just aren't enough homes for them. don't give up hope but be prepared for the eventuallity that you may have to figure out how to keep them or put them down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I haven't seen one of them for a couple of days, so maybe it is gone? :shrug: I will try to get a trap for the other one and see what we can do. Thanks again...

Cindyc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.