what to do about a screaming buckling???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kath2003, Sep 18, 2005.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

We just can't stand it anymore. This little guy is almost 5 months old now. He has been weaned for 8 weeks,and away from mom.He has 10 other goats with him,and seems ok untill he sees a human. Any human. He starts yelling and screaming,nonstop. We worked out in the pens today for about 6 hours or so,and he screamed the entire time.He is well fed,gets attention,and we just don't know what else to do. He is heading toward a MUZZLE,lol. Any ideas would be great! :grump:

2. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Sounds like he is wanting attention and he needs to learn to ask for it appropriately. What worked with my bottle babies is that I give them attention only when they are behaving. Ignore him when he is screaming, and rush to give him attention as soon as he stops. You might call out to him and go about your business, but do NOT reward the behavior in any way. Even yelling at him or punishing him will backfire if he is seeking attention. Continue to give him the love that you are giving. That is good. He just thinks that he needs it constantly and that he needs a mommy figure. TRY to find a time when he is behaving (might be a tall order, I know) and heap loving and treats on him. Give him a handful of grain, scratch his back, and all those good things you do. When he is bad you will do nothing except verbally reasure him ONCE.
    I don't know for sure if this will work. Depends on how stubborn your little guy is.

3. havenberryfarm

PS. This works on children too. :clap: I have 6 of those.

4. havenberryfarm

Cotton balls in your ears.

Wow. I really feel for you.

Now where did I put that muzzle???

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Woa, I'm the oldest of 5, I'm only 14, and I know my mom has it bad, I can not imagine having another little one running around, I think I would die.

6. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Had goat spiedies for supper tonight, yum yum...Joan

7. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

That was my first thought, too. I love goats,
    as long as they're well-mannered. If you've
    got the time to work with him, fine...I'd make
    him into sausage tho'...sorry.

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Whether him and put him back in with mommy and his other friends. I have a Doe that used to do this, exept she was always in with my other doe, she just loves me. She has stopped screaming now that daisy has has her babies. i dont know why exactly, but she is even quiet when tied. :shrug:
    Is there a reason for him to be a buck? if not, whether him. they are alot nicer that way. and, if he still screams, he'll taste better too. :rolleyes:
    good luck! o and by the way, dog bark collars DO NOT work on goats. my dad tried it on my doe once. this was a collar that shocked harder every time she screamed, and then it caused her to scream agian, exc, exc.

9. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

We have a little wether about the same age who does the same thing. Anytime you go in the pasture he starts crying and won't stop untill he is cuddling against your legs. When you leave he starts crying again. He was orphaned when he was 2 1/2 mo. old. We're sure to just give him attention, and hopefully he'll grow out of it. :rolleyes:

10. kath2003

LOL,My husband says the sausage idea is the best one! He s a buck for our breeding program. We breed Fainting goats,he is just gorgous,chocolate and white color with blue eyes. He cost a trip to PA and then 250.00. Sure can't butcher this one!We will definetly try the ignoring thing first,maybe another month or so.Thats the thing,if he isn't wrapped around your leg,he is yelling.I hope its just a maturity thing.My son wants to put him in his room,ya right!!!! :nono:

11. Goat Freak

I have a female Boer goat that I would just love to bring in my room, other than she might eat everything. When something goes wrong at our place we just go to Queenie, the herd queen/boer goat, and cuddle with her, she really loves it and just lets us love on her. She is a little angel. Hope your little boy shuts his mouth soon, for your ears and for your sanity, Bye.

12. sheep tamer

Oh, it's always the ones you have the most invested in
    and highest hopes for that drive you nuts. I had a doe
    who was just gorgeous to me, always had retained
    placentas, but I stuck with her...and later realized she
    also had CAE! I hung onto her out of sentimentality,
    culling was not in my vocabulary at that time.

At least, in my experience, the ugliest, most mellow goats
    that you DON'T have papers for are the easy birthers, throw
    the sweetest and most perfect kids, don't test fencing and
    freely give the most delicious milk. Am I alone in these
    observations? LOL!

We had a buck who for no reason we could determine,
    decided to begin bellowing from dawn to dusk... a major
    source of stress for all, but he was also rather agressive,
    so rather than find a new home where he'd be someone
    else's problem, he became one with the earth. ;) Not
    that I'd advise anyone else to do this...but there *are*
    enough animals to go around...and here, only the dearest
    get to live out their lives.

Best wishes for getting past your present ordeal, Kath2003!!

13. havenberryfarm

Ooh. I forgot to add that you will need to substitute his undesirable behavior with one that is acceptable to you. For instance, pet and praise him whenever he comes quietly to the fence. Then he will associate attention from you with coming to the fence and not with screaming. Hopefully. Depends on how smart he is and how stubborn and needy he is. Worked with mine, but they will still yell out to me whenever I go outside. They just don't keep going on and on. I answer them and talk to them, but I go about my business and they only get petted when they behave appropriately. For a while I had to ignore them completely until it was time to feed them. Then they would shut up while eating and I had a chance to give them attention while they were quiet. Soon they learned that they would get their attention eventually, so they just greeted me at the door. That was my chance to finish training them.

The biggest key is to keep consistent. Goats learn by repetition, so try to establish a routine.

Also, I don't think that mine were as bad as yours seems to be. Hopefully, he is bright enough to figure it out.

I do the same thing when they scream and cry to be fed. If they are whining and complaining, I feed the chickens first and they have to wait. I am not about to reward that sort of thing by paying attention to it. Sure drives them nuts to see the hens fed while they are hungry. And to tell the truth I get a perverse pleasure out of making them wait when they are acting that way. Justice.

Hope it helps.

14. kath2003

It is so good to know I'm not the only one that it drives nuts!! I think I will try the feeding the chickens first. I do always go to the goats first to shut them up. Maybe I should change that and stick to that!I'll pay no attention to him at all,they all call out,but not the way he does. I will try to be as patient as I can,I think the hardest part is not looking at him and saying "shut up you,you,goat!!!" I catch myself talking to him alot,saying,please shut up,please shut up.LOL. Not anymore!! Thanks so much to all,I did pretty good today,better tomorrow,lol.

15. sheep tamer

I was thinking that if this little guy is the
    new one, he's probably feeling very
    homesick, and he's wanting things as he
    knew them...

I'm sure petting and loving on every
    quiet goat INSTEAD of the extremely
    vocal one would get him to thinking.
    Goats are such creatures of habit!
    If I find myself doing something extra
    one day, they are bawling for me to
    do it the same time the next day!!!!
    They DO love their routines. :rolleyes:

16. havenberryfarm

GREAT idea, sheep tamer. I bet watching all the quiet ones get petted would get him thinking in short order. Nice.

17. kath2003

That is a great idea sheep tamer. I will add that to the new routine. He was watching every move this morning while I did the chickens first. Then I fed the does,then my herd sire was next,then Wyatt got his!

18. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I agree with Havenberryfarm. This method worked with my 2. Oh they still let us know when they see us about and we are not paying attention to them. But it only lasts a little while.

Also, makle sure feeding times etc. are always at the same times. Then that also is a solid routine. Mine will always let me know if we're 5 min. late with the feeding!

19. Goat Freak

you joking, mine start complaining if I am half a seconed late, Whine babies. :D

20. kath2003

Well,I think he may be getting use to the idea that he is not always first! He does yell when he first sees someone,but after a few minutes now,he seems to quiet down a little ,very little,but a little,LOL.Lots of great advise from all of you,thanks so much!!