What to charge??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by caticon, May 8, 2006.

1. caticon

caticon Member

I just brought my first pigs in to the butcher and am selling one to someone but dont what to charge for it any opinions from some one who has done this before??

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

you don't want to charge or don't know what to charge? Around $47/cwt is about market price right now. We charge our customers a $1.00 pound live weight and they keep coming back year after year.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Friend of mine with a show goat herd raises pigs on the extra milk - sells for $3.50 lb hanging weight.

niki

4. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

I've sold mine for $1.25 per pound - hang weight- customer pays me this, they pay the processor his fee seperately. I've sold pork for the last three years for this price and had no complaints. All repeat customers plus quite a few on the waiting list. Keep in mind I'm just a hobbiest and only raise 6 - 8 pigs a year, so I don't care what the market price is.

5. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

We raise our hogs on home mixed & ground TOP quality feed, as close to organic as you can get without the governments approval & we charge $3.00 a lb hanging weight

6. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

$3.75/lb. hanging for milk fed, organic but not certified, no soybeans.

7. HogEmAll

HogEmAll Well-Known Member

Slightly Off-Topic here, but what is "Hanging Weight"? Is that the same as "Live Weight" or "On The Hoof"?

Also, what is the benefit of not feeding soybeans? My feed has soybeans in it, along with corn and peanut meal and supplements.

8. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I believe hanging weight is after slaughter, after gutting, and maybe removal of the head? I'm no expert - just a guess.

The $3.50 that I quoted above in my post did not include the butchering, customer paid that. Another acquaintence gets $5lb live weight, for uncertified organic, milk-fed hogs....can hardly believe it - wish I could get that!

niki

9. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Hanging weight is the slaughtered and gutted pig before cut and wrap. With pigs it's not as cut and dried as a beef, there are several ways pigs end up hanging. Most slaughterhouses scald the pig and leave skin, head, and feet on. If you butchered at home, you might skin the pig, and if so, you'd also remove the head and feet. Hanging weight may or may not include organs and tongue.

My price includes cut and wrap.

Some people don't like the texture and taste of soybean fed pork, not necessarily because of the soybeans themselves, but because of the extreme rate of growth produced, and the tendency for too much internal fat to be put on. There is also some debate about whether consuming soy is healthy for humans or animals. I personally like to raise a large, (200+ lbs.hanging), lean pig with firm flesh and have a high percentage of the feed be farm produced, such as milk, hay, grass, etc...

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

We charged $1.70 a pound hanging (it was skinned, etc) and they paid the fee to the butcher. Next time it will be $2.00 a pound. I'm getting rave reviews and already people want more next time around.

kids

11. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

We breed and raise pastured pigs. See http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog

We sell them direct to the end customer as piglets, roasters and finished hogs delivered to the butcher.

A finished pastured hog at ~225 lbs sells for $350 per pig delivered live to the butcher. That is $1.55/lb live weight.

That yields about 140 lbs hanging weight - bled, guts, organs, head, feet and skin removed giving a hanging weight price of $2.50/lb.

The customer pays for slaughter ($40) and butchering (~45¢/lb based on hanging weight).

That yields about 130 lbs or so of cut and wrapped pork giving a final total cost to the customer of $453 per pig or $3.48/lb.

Butchers, restaurants and wholesalers will only pay about 85¢ to $1.00/lb live weight. They tell me they'll take all we can produce but since our direct sales are so good I have never bothered selling wholesale. One restaurant has recently offered me a premium of an extra 24¢/lb because our pigs are pastured. That makes the price $1.24/lb hanging weight head, feet and skin on & scraped - their request. That is closer but still not enough that I have diverted from our regular individual customers.

Do note that prices vary with the region, time of year, hog type and how it was raised. We get more for our pastured pigs around here than people who grain them in a pen because people want that happy, healthy, humanely naturally raised, pastured pork. Ironically it is easier and less expensive to pasture them than pen them.

12. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

This is pretty close to what we do.

First of all - we calculate all our costs (cost of buying piglet & all feed) then we add 25%. This is what we charge our customers.

They must pay all butchering costs themselves. The butcher cost ranges from .35-.50 per # cut and wrapped. I think there's a charge for the kill also. We take the pig to the butcher. Most of our buyers don't want the lard or the head, so we get those back. :1pig: :p

Please learn from our experience - Get a deposit before purchasing your piglet. We also found it was helpful to have each buyer make payments to us. That way when butchering day arrives, they just have to pay the butcher, our fee is already taken care of.

13. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Yes, deposits are essencial.

On piglets, we take a $15 deposit to get onto the waiting list to get a piglet. The rest is due in cash when they pick up the weaner at 4 to 5 weeks of age.

On hogs delivered to the butcher it is either entirely prepaid (5% discount if prepaid cash/check) or it is $50/month with any remaining due before slaughter. All pigs going to the butcher are 100% paid for. The customer then pays the butcher for kill and slaughter.

14. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hog, we use the term "carcass" weight over here as welling as hanging weight but I always feel that carcass leaves no room for doubt :shrug:

Just to add another dimension from the other side of the world, we sell ours at $NZ4.00 per kg (2.2lbs to the kilo), head off, feet off which is probably a bit less than most of you are getting even allowing for the exchange rate. However, we do charge $15.00 for the killing and scalding and if they want us to butcher it that goes on top again.

I think I might look seriously at putting the price up a bit because nothing beats home-reared meat.

Cheers,
    Ronnie