What to charge for bushhogging?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to make up an itemized bill for 30 acres my husband bushhogged. He doesn't even know how long it took him (about 10-12 hours or two days worth) as he had to stop and do repairs on the tractor. Do we count that time too? And what's the going rate per hour? He used his own tractor and equipment, does that figure into the rate?

HELP!

2. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Around here they charge $35.00 an hour and go by the hour meter on the tractor, in other words actual bushhogging. Break downs and repairs aren't charged to the customers time. Hard to believe anyone would allow you to start work without giving them the rate per hour etc. This is in north west Florida, prices may be higher in other areas. Daryll in NW FLA

3. jeffinmaine

jeffinmaine Member

$25 per acre. Or, in my case, about $50 per hour using a 100hp tractor and 10' wide mower.
    The problem with hourly rates is that different equipment covers the ground in a different amount of time.
    I think it is more fair to charge by the acre.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Equipment break downs are your problem, not the customers so you don't charge for them.

You need to find the custom hire rates for your area. I found one for GA that said rates varied from $8-$15/acre, but that was in 2002. I couldn't find any for MS. You can ask at the extension office or just ask around. You can also call people who are advertising the same service and ask what they charge.

I agree that charges are usually by the acre, not by the hour. That may vary in your specific area.

Jena

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Generally around here they would charge by the hour showing on the equipment meter, that is from the time they start up ignition, until shutdown of the engine.
    Professional insured with licensed equipment rate over $50/hr, and they would be most efficient for clearing. They would have a minimum charge, too. An independent with 'at your own risk' type of deal would likely charge less but might take longer.

6. Ravenlost

Thanks everyone. The going rate around here last year was $35 an hour. I guess that's what we'll charge, although it would be easier now to charge by the acre if I can find a local rate for that. Will tell him next time to watch his meter! Reason he had a breakdown/repairs was because he was told the field was clear and flat. Then he hit a big log on the edge of a gully that was hidden by the tall grass near the back edge of the field. Minor repair, nothing major.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you stipulate beforehand that kind of breakdown is charged back then you can charge it. Sawmills around here do that for broken blades, rototilling normally charges for rock damage too. You just have to have it in the quote first!

8. Ravenlost

9. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

The going rate here is $40 per hour and owner of machine pays all machine expense including the gas...Joan

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............25 per acre for the first 4 acre's and 20 per acre thereafter . Thirty acres is a LOT of Square footage to mow . He must have Had a Sore butt when he got Home !..fordy... :)

11. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Several years ago, ten or more, I ran a 120 hp tractor and 15' Rhino Batwing Hog for $25/ hour --- but as others said I did not charge for any breakdowns. BUT, I also had great equipment with danged few repairs and fuel was a whole bunch cheaper.

12. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I paid $25 an acre last summer.

13. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

25.00$ per hour on meter Or 28.00 per acre. Here in IL.

14. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

$35/HR, and it goes by the hourmeter. Breakdowns, operator, and fuel are all the owner's expense.

At least down here....

15. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

By the hour rates are usually variable depending on size of equipment used. Normally, by the acre charges are fairer and much easier to quote beforehand so everyone knows. Of course, what is being mowed, how thick, how smooth, how square etc are always factors to consider.

16. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Here In Sw Florida The Charge Is $15.00 Per Acre. And That Is For Flat Acres.

17. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I paid 10 bucks an acre last fall to mow off CRP land that has a alot of honeylocust and blacklocust doing it's darndest to grow on it. That was the rate set by the government. Took him about 3 hours to do 30 some acres with a big bat-wing mower. Well worth it for me.

18. Ravenlost

Thanks everyone. This is CRP land...flat except for the gully in back. No trees except for the dead one on the edge of the gully. Hubby went up to the FSA yesterday and they said $46 per acre so that's what we're charging.