What tires for early eighties 4wd Ranger/BroncoII?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Jul 12, 2006.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I am more interested in size tires people are running. 215-75-15 is what came standard from factory and optional tires were BIGGER. :confused: However Ford in all their wisdom tried to make a high revving sport car engine into an economy truck engine with the 2.8. Talk about stupid.... It LIKES high rpm and hates lugging. Thus 5th gear is worthless and performance slow in other gears. Fuel mileage sucks whatever I do. As I've said before, all the power of a 4cyl, all the fuel economy of a V8.

To get a better effective gear ratio I'd like to use 195SR15s or 195-75-15s on it like I used on old Volvos but its a rare and expensive size. How would 205-65-15s be? For some reason these are fairly common. As to brand, thinking Yokohoma Aegis. They are relatively inexpensive but good rep for traction and treadlife. Dryrot already got my spare and one front tire forcing me to buy replacement spare locally to get home. Murphy's law was in full effect that day. Hey local cop gave me and my blown tire ride to tire store. Nice cop.

2. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

You might look around here:

Tire Rack

I've bought from there since about 1982 and love it. They're listing your Yoko Aegis at $54 ea. 205/65 will shorten your gearing by about 9%. Theyhave a nice chart unser "specs" for each tire that gives "revs per mile " that makes it easy to figure....

3. HermitJohn

Thanks, that chart with rev per mile makes things much easier to figure. Sure be nice to find couple junk tires that size to try on rear axle before spending real money. See if I liked what it did to the gearing in real life. Hmmm....

4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Your thinking is correct. Here's a site that's got a pretty good tire calculator for you to figure out what the different sizes will do. Tire Fitment Calculator

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I must admit Yokohama makes a good tire.

BooBoo

6. HermitJohn

I've heard Sumitomo tires give lot bang for the buck also. Alas many of the more familiar names are mixed bag, they make some ok tires and some junk. And either way they want whole lot more money for anything decent.

Oh, was looking around and I have two worn out 185-65-15s that somebody gave me to use on my small utility trailer when they bought new tires for their car. I have extra old Dodge truck rims (they are same bolt pattern as Ranger) so may do a little experiment. Dont think I want to go that small on Ranger but those are only non dryrotted small 15s that I have on the place.

Is it that time passes quicker the older you get or does anybody else notice that modern tires seem to dryrot quicker than they used to?

7. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Tire size has a lot to do with its load carrying capacity. If you go with smaller tires you need to make sure they have the rated load capacity needed for the BroncoII.

The 215-75-15 tire has a load rateing of 100

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

A 195-75-15 has a load rating of only 94. Not a good swap.

A 215-75-14 has a load rating of 98. A little better but does require new rims. Many of the earlier Rangers has 14" rims on the 2 wheel drives. They might fit a 4 wheel drive.

I was unable to find anything that had a load rating of 100 that would be smaller diameter.

8. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Be real careful these have a load rating of only 86 to 88

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=98&y=8

Edited to add:

A tire wit a rating of 100 can handle up to 1764 lbs. per tire safely. Tires with rateings of 88 can only handle 1235 lbs. per tire safely. That's a loss of over 2000 lbs. for the set.

9. frugalville

frugalville Well-Known Member

I remember mine made so much top end noise, ˆ had to play the radio to drown it out.

10. HermitJohn

****RANT**** The last thing I am worried about is load capacity. This thing is a cheap 4wd to get up and down my driveway, no more than that. Only occasionally carry more than what my Ford Festiva would carry. Ford made sure of that by putting wrong engine with wrong gearing in it. I go up my driveway in low range in first gear EMPTY. Engine doesnt have any low end torque so has to be compensated for with low low gearing. It will just bog down if I try to use 5th gear out on hiway EMPTY. That ought to give an idea of the native capabilities of this thing. This is with a new rebuilt engine. I am still kicking myself because I found this rebuilt 2.8 cheap last winter and did the easy lazy thing of bolting it in instead of modifying the drivetrain and putting straight six with tranny and transfer case out of an early Bronco. I had sold myself on using rebuilt 2.8 by thinking old 2.8 acted as it did because it was just wore out and it did have low compression. I had a '72 Bronco with straight six and three speed way back when, which except for front drum brakes it was so much the better vehicle than this ranger and got 21mpg hiway. This thing cant get out of its own way and gets around 15mpg hiway. ***END OF RANT***