What things are incompatible??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by allenslabs, Mar 20, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I am planning my garden now and was wondering what plants are incompatible with others and what ones work best with each other. I have about a 40x40 area to plant. I know I want sweet corn, tomatoes, green beans, pumpkins, cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage, asparagus, brocoli, bell peppers, and maybe a couple more things. . . . . .oh carrots too. Anyway thanks a lot!

2. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

There's a book called "carrots love tomatoes" that has some information, but
    there's not a lot of scientific evidence for most of it. Most garden veg are
    reasonably okay with each other. There are some herbs (fennel) and trees
    (walnuts) and grasses that have real incompatibilties. And sunflowers, as I
    recall. Don't plant asparagus in your annual veg bed, keep that separate since
    it's perennial, you can't dig up that part of the bed next year.

3. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you're supposed to keep tomatoes separated from cabbage, and beans away from onions.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Don't plant peas near oninions
    Don't plant tomatoes where corn grew the year before, or close to corn
    Sunflower inhibits pole beans

The companion planting book mentioned above "carrots love tomatoe' is excellent and so is the book 'Garlic loves Roses'

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Opps :eek: ,, I have always planted onions in my Pea Beds, and sunflowers grow everywhere. Always had a excellent crop of peas, stringbeans and onions.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

sounds good, bergere.
    I had problems once planting onions next to peas. The peas were the ones affected by bugs and a poor crop, and went by that plus it was recommended in the books to keep these separate (except when cooking :haha: ).
    Sunflowers would grow, but may affect the runner beans if planted too near the sunflower root. I've found that generally the area is bare on the ground around the perifery of the suflower stalk by about 6" diameter, even grass is inhibited at that zone.

7. JanaKaye

JanaKaye Active Member

8. Countrygrl3

Countrygrl3 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that you would want to take into consideration what soil prep each plant needs - for example my beans dont like as much acid in the soil as most of my other plants.

9. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

10. Louisiana Mom

Louisiana Mom Well-Known Member

We have blackberry bushes on one side of our garden bed. We were told to make sure our tomato plants were not near them because the tomatoes wouldn't grow. We just grow them on the other side of the garden. If there is any truth to this, I'm not really sure, but a man who has been gardening in louisiana for many years told us this. So far all of his advice has been good.

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Hmmm, sounds like if you planted sunflowers around the perimeter of your garden that it may keep out invading grasses. Plant the dwarf varieties on the south and east side and taller ones on the north and west.

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

and of course keep cabbage family seperate from each other,

plant the three sisters together, pole beans, corn,squashes

13. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

One thing that I noticed last year, the orange bell peppers planted closest to the cabbage were 6 to 8 inches shorter and didn't produce as many peppers as the pepper plants planted further away from the cabbage. Peppers and cabbage may not be compatible.

14. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

I have a book titled The Vegetable Gardener's Bible that has a section on companion planting that I always refer to. It's been very helpful to me for that and just great general info.