What teat dip do you use?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kaitlin, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Kaitlin

Kaitlin Well-Known Member

I have been milking my goats for a few months in happy ignorance that I was supposed to use a teat dip. For the last week I have using an iodine based teat dip that you dilute 1:4 with water . I've now noticed that one of my goats has a sore patch on one of her teats and it seems likely that it was caused by the dip. Should I keep on using the dip or does anyone use a gentler alternative? I'd be grateful for your advice.

Thanks, Kaitlin.

2. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

3. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Here is what I use to clean my doe to get ready to milk her === Iodine Udder Wash Concentrate.. I really like it and it tells how to do them. Here is the directions on how I use it. I got a small oz cup and put some of that iodine udder wash in it alone with some water and then I dip the teat down in it and have a clean paper towel to dry the teat right after I dip it but of course I clean all around the teat too. Then I start milking my doe after I'm done I use fight-Bac to spray on her teat and I haven't so far knock on wood had any troubles.

But I'm later going to start using this instead Nolvasan Teat Dip Concentrate right now I'm using the other but I going to order this stuff later to use..

Quoted by: Kaitlin I have been milking my goats for a few months in happy ignorance that I was supposed to use a teat dip. For the last week I have using an iodine based teat dip that you dilute 1:4 with water . I've now noticed that one of my goats has a sore patch on one of her teats and it seems likely that it was caused by the dip. Should I keep on using the dip or does anyone use a gentler alternative? I'd be grateful for your advice.

Thanks, Kaitlin

Kaitlin it sounds like your haven't been drying the teat before starting to milk.. If not that will cause the teat to get a sore patch. You maybe using the same stuff I have been and I haven't so far knock on wood had any troubles.

Good Luck on your milking and Goat/Goats. :)

4. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I've always used Nolvasan Teat Dip.

5. Kaitlin

Kaitlin Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice. I've just been out to look at her again and she has a very tiny cut on her teat. I've washed it in disinfectant and sprayed it with veterinary wound spray - does this sound enough or should I talk to a vet? Sorry to keep asking questions but I'm new to this and scared of doing the wrong thing!

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I use udder wash from Hoagger Supply.
    i put a cap full in a quart spray bottle and fill with water. Makes a brown spray.
    I spray the intire udder well and wipe off with thick soft paper towel and sometimes I repeat this before I milk depending on how dirty the udder was. I finish with a final spray on just the teets after I milk and let it drip off the end. I don't dry this in the summer but I do in the winter.
    If you don't use the spray up before the color fades then you need to throw it away and make fresh but I always do so that is not a problem for me.
    I use water with a drop of dish soap and a small amount of bleach when I am out of udder wash. A bottle of udder wash will last a very long time though, depending on how many goats you are milking.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I shave udders and bellies so cleanup before hand is minimal, I use the cheap pop out of the top wetones from wallmart, I add 1/4 small container, maybe 1/2 a cup of alcohol to them to wash teats before hand. For teat dip I use clorox...1/4 cup clorox to 1 gallon of water (I use this for all cleaning)...I use it as a spray to thoroughly saturate the teat to dripping while they finish their grain.

If anything you are using is chapping their teats or your hands, than it is too strong.

Make sure what you are using is also not a made up recipe off the internet, but an actual post or predip concentration that works. Is it perhaps from Hoards Dairyman? or other diary publication?

Remember also that any antibacterial dishwashing liquid is doing NOTHING antibacterial once you add water, read the package it states this on it. Vicki