What tasts better grown in your own garden vs. store bought?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Torch, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Saying everything is not helpful, so don't do it!!!! :)

Seriously, I'm new to this. This year was (is) our first garden and we really enjoyed it. We grew tomatoes, green onions, collards, brocolli and some herbs. Actually the collards and brocolli and still going well. The tomatoes are gone and some of the herbs are fine others are gone now.

We liked EVERYTHING that came from the garden. The tomatoes and herbs, in particular, were fabulous. You just can't get that quality in the produce section.

The collards, brocolli and onions were good but not, at least to me, noticibly better than store bought. I'm not saying that I will not add them to my garden, which I'll be expanding, next year; only that if given the choice between tomatoes and collards, for example, because of time or space constraints, tomatoes will win.

What things do you find are just head and shoulders better when grown yourself than when bought? I'm not talking about the satisfaction that comes from growing them yourself, simply what TASTES better?

Thanks.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Wee. I like this question.
    First of all, what I like about growing better vegetables in the garden is that you can choose the varieties that are either best for you region or have exceptional taste/growing qualities:
    Some of my past favorites are:

Oliver Brussel Sprouts (after 2 nips of frost outdoors)
    Brandywine Tomatoes
    Jumbo Snow Peas
    Golden Acorn Squash
    Chiogga and Burpee Golden Beets
    Northern Xtra Super Sweet Corn
    Stars and Bars Sweet Corn
    Illini Sweet Corn
    Yukon Gold Potatoes
    Jersey Asparagus
    Rosality and Buttercrucn lettuce
    Sweet Sandwich, Red Burgermaster, Wala Wala, and Kelsey Giant Onions
    Red Shallots
    Globe Artichoke Hearts
    Peter Pan Scallopin summer squash
    Crookneck Squash
    Chestnut, Blue Hubbard, and Buttercup winter squash
    Gherkin pickling cukes
    Lincolnsteade baby peas
    Gold Romano Beans
    Slender French Filet green bean
    Jacob's Cattle, Vermont Cranberry, China Yellow, adzuki, dry beans
    Jerusalem Artichokes

I know I'm probably missing about a hundred other varieties I'm not thinking of right now, but that's a start.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Tomatoes for sure,then I think Green Beans,then I would say any of the Melons.

big rockpile

4. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

My first instinct was to say "everything" :haha: .....but I gave it more thought and narrowed it down. Having fresh most of my life, I have thought back to my husband's first responses of "WOW" :eek:"This is sooo much better".....Let's see....potatoes, lettuces, tomatoes, fresh herbs and berries....He was amazed at what our berries tasted like.....He didn't think he liked strawberries very much because he had only known those hard sour things in the supermarket....Now he knows there is nothing better than a red strawberry picked in the patch warmed from the sun.....

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Well everything does taste better IF you eat it as soon as it is picked. If you pick your home grown vegetables and then leave them in the fridge for a week they often lose that taste benefit. I like to pick things while the water is on to boil. That said, some things are always best home grown:
    Vegetables that convert starch to sugar are always better picked fresh, ie corn, peas and new potatoes. Although the corn we bought in Ohio was as close to homegrown as I have ever experienced and if we lived there I might not bother growing it myself.
    Vegetables that are picked unripe and shipped to the store will always taste better home grown, ie tomatoes.
    Then there are the things that sometimes taste better. Leeks sold here are very old, tough and quite flavorless, home grown win hands down for taste and texture. Bought rutabagas here are tough and very strong flavored, home grown are tender and mild. Back home bought leeks and rutabagas weren't at all bad but they were grown locally.
    I have never grown anything that tasted worse than store bought :D

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Mmmm, melt in your mouth....

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Everything except lettuce.

No matter what I do, lettuce is harsh. This year I might try deep shade: I have done everything else. Including AFTERNOON shade, LOL.

Now, the plants that have the BIGGEST DIFFERENCE in flavor when home-grown are apples, sweet corn, okra, eggplant, and tomatos.

For me, the main thing is what I have TIME for. Fresh peas, while wonderfull, just take too long to shell out a meals worth, and since it is hot early in our area the yield is very poor. So, I often plant a few peas for nibbling on and grow the more productive plants.

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Tomatoes, melons, beets, cukes, strawberries, lettuce, corn, peas, green beans, eggplant, radishes. This is a good question; makes me want to start planting.

9. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Any high sugar plant, which means most any fruit. But for me, you can't beat a vine ripe melon.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

gosh yes, I forgot abou those..yum, indeed!

11. dare2b

dare2b crone

Have you tried raising leaf lettuce and eating only the new, young leaves? The older the leaves are, the more bitter.

12. Kevin in MD

Kevin in MD Member

Definitely cucumbers! I grew them this past year and couldn't believe how good they were(crisp texture, fresh taste). Now when I have to eat the waxed ones from the grocery store I cringe.

Kevin

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'll try that too, this year. ;)

14. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

Snap peas- any kind...Sugar Snap, Sugar Ann, Cascadia, any!!!

15. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

I LOVE sweet corn - picked straight off the cob, immediately cleaned and cooked. Sooooo yummy!

16. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Grown on good soil, picked fresh, cooked minimally=mighty good vittles.

17. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Cucumbers, okra, tomatoes, lima beans. Also grapes, strawberries, and peaches.

18. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Terri,
    Have you ever tried growing a summer crisp variety? I can't stand black seed simpson, WAY to bitter for me. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I found the summer crisps.

Sylvar

19. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Hmmm, let's see...strawberries, tomatoes, corn and peas were so much better that you'd hardly believe they were the same species as the supermarket stuff. Brussels sprouts, too. Green beans were somewhat better but not dramatically so. The scallions, peppers, apples, cherries and pears were about the same as you'd get in a good store (but much cheaper!). I'll let you know about asparagus after I harvest my first this spring!

20. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter