Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting the grass and something started attacking the back of my head. I ran about 10', but it was still after me. I think I went about 35' before it finally backed off. I tried to get the lawnmower and got attacked again. I went around to the other side and still got attacked. This time I got stung on the wrist..

I tried one more time and was able to grab the mower. I didn't see any insects flying around. I threw some sticks into the area where I thought they might be but still didn't see anything.

It's not uncommon to have a ground wasp nest or 2 in the fall, but I have never run into problems with wasps in the spring. I never got a good look at what stung me, but I think it was about the size of a yellow jacket.

All I can think of is maybe a queen is trying to establish a new nest and some of the drones attacked me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was cutting the grass and something started attacking the back of my head. I ran about 10', but it was still after me. I think I went about 35' before it finally backed off. I tried to get the lawnmower and got attacked again. I went around to the other side and still got attacked. This time I got stung on the wrist..

I tried one more time and was able to grab the mower. I didn't see any insects flying around. I threw some sticks into the area where I thought they might be but still didn't see anything.

It's not uncommon to have a ground wasp nest or 2 in the fall, but I have never run into problems with wasps in the spring. I never got a good look at what stung me, but I think it was about the size of a yellow jacket.

All I can think of is maybe a queen is trying to establish a new nest and some of the drones attacked me. Any ideas?
maybe horsefly

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatever it was, it definitely stung me. I was too busy to cut the grass last week, so it was about 4"-6" tall with a lot of buttercups. If there was a ground nest, I didn't see anything flying in or out.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Probably a yellow jacket or another ground wasp.

A swarming honey bee colony is pretty passive. They no longer have honey or brood to protect, so they don’t see the value in wasting the lives of workers on you. Maybe if you attacked their Queen, but you’d have to wade through a cloud of workers to find her.

Lawn-mower over a ground-wasp nest, though, and you’re in for a battle. Wasps don’t lose their stingers, so a single one can take multiple runs at you like you describe.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Maybe it was a Murder Hornet
We'll know if he doesn't post anymore. Probably a yellow jacket but they are more of a problem here in late summer or fall and there is usually more than 1. I had my truck in the shop Monday so I drove the old black truck I don't use much. Stopped to put gas in it and the door to the gas cap doesn't shut all the way. I opened the door and reached in to open the gas cap and a danged wasp stung me in my knuckle. Just the one but it was starting to build a nest. It is dead. COVID I assume.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Deer fly?

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably a yellow jacket or another ground wasp.

A swarming honey bee colony is pretty passive. They no longer have honey or brood to protect, so they don’t see the value in wasting the lives of workers on you. Maybe if you attacked their Queen, but you’d have to wade through a cloud of workers to find her.

Lawn-mower over a ground-wasp nest, though, and you’re in for a battle. Wasps don’t lose their stingers, so a single one can take multiple runs at you like you describe.
That's what it acted like, but I have never known them to be aggressive this early in the year. It's usually August before I see babies leaving the nest.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
That's what it acted like, but I have never known them to be aggressive this early in the year. It's usually August before I see babies leaving the nest.
Yellow jackets are born pissed off.

Bees, true bees, are surprisingly friendly. Just don’t mess with their food or their babies. They’ll literally die for the opportunity to annoy you if you do.

·
Premium Member
26,558 Posts
I've had problems with Ringed paper wasps before. They will come after you and sting you if you have bothered their nest. But they nest in sheltered areas like bird houses or car mirrors, not out in the open.

A paste made of baking soda and meat tenderizer mixed with a little water should help break down the toxins and keep it from hurting and itching so much.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've had problems with Ringed paper wasps before. They will come after you and sting you if you have bothered their nest. But they nest in sheltered areas like bird houses or car mirrors, not out in the open.

A paste made of baking soda and meat tenderizer mixed with a little water should help break down the toxins and keep it from hurting and itching so much.
What was strange was it burned for about 5 minutes and then went away. The burning from a wasp sting usually lasts for hours. I was right next to a birdhouse when this happened. I have a birdhouse on a fence post and I was probably within a couple of feet from it when this happened. I'll check it out. Usually, there are birds in it by now.

ETA: I forgot which fence post the birdhouse was on. I was over 12' away from the birdhouse when I was first attacked.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I was too busy to cut the grass last week, so it was about 4"-6" tall
You know you're a Readneeck (stupid editor ap won't let me put *******) when you mow the lawn and find that Buick you lost three yrs ago.-- Jeff Foxworthy

By the time you get in the house, find those ingredients, mix them and apply them, it's probably done smarting anyways.

·
Premium Member
26,558 Posts
I keep the powder mix in a well-marked spice jar in the kitchen cabinet. If you can get it on the sting within a half hour it helps reduce the itching the next day.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went back a couple of days later to ow that area and didn't see any signs of wasps or other stinging creatures except for a couple of honey bees.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts