what snake is eating a chick

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

the other day a big snake was lying in front of the chickenhouse with a chick stuck in it's mouth. I am not familiar with things like that. we do not want a snake around that eats our chicks still I feel sort of ambiguous about killing it. it was not a poisonous one. I wonder if someone knows a lot about snakes. It was rather dark, but had a design that came in blocks, light, dark, light dark, getting darker towards the tail. The head was black on top with a white rim around the mouth. The belly was light. The chicks were frightened and I had a heck of a time getting them in as they did not want to go near the door.

2. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

I had a black king snake hanging around for a couple of years here. He was almost 6 feet long, and I put up with him for that long because he was a good guy(eating mice and the "bad" snakes), but he also had a bad habit of getting in the cage with my baby guineas and killing them. After he killed his second batch of baby guineas in one night(4 at a time) I decided he needed a new home. :nono:

3. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Chicken Snake/Rat Snake - they kill your baby chicks (swallow them) until they get pretty big...also guineas. If you hae laying boxes they will coil up in the box and when you put your hand under the hen - sometimes you will feel/see them - it will scare the heck out of you. They are actually a good snake. They kill mouse/rats and I have even heard that they keep the cooperheads away. :hobbyhors

4. Country

Country Well-Known Member

It does sound like a chicken snake. I don't know what they are called elsewhere but in S. La that is what we called them. The ones I remember were much darker than the one in the picture. Very pretty snakes and grew into huge specimens. But they did cause problems around the chickens.

5. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

I am an old country boy and the answer is easy for me. Which do you prefer--chickens/eggs/chicks or snake---see, not a problem. Get a cat if you have rat problems. King snakes will not bother your eggs but will kill other snakes. Corn snakes are beautiful and kill rats also. Black snakes(chicken snakes) love eggs and chicks plus will get into bird nests just as they do chicken nests. Get rid of it if you like birds and chickens. wc

6. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

I agree with the group, you have a chicken snake. If you don't do something about it, it will just keep coming back and treating your chicken house like it's own KFC.

I had a 5 and 1/2 footer get into a cage I was raising baby chicks in once. He fit into a tiny hole getting in, but with 2 chicks in his belly he couldn't get back out. For the record, it was a dead snake after that.

7. 3dogmom

3dogmom Well-Known Member

I brought home 6 baby chicks two days ago and put them in a rabbit hutch that sits near to the ground. The chicks had their heads sticking out of the chicken wire on the hutch when I left. Came back a short time later and a big black snake had pulled one of them out through the chicken wire. The 5 remaining chicks are now in my laundry room until they get bigger. None of the "teen" chicks I have in a pen have been bothered. I left the snake alone since he is beneficial but I would relocate him if I had a regular problem with him. I was heartsick to have lost the little chick.