what size water container for kids

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MamaDee, May 24, 2006.

1. MamaDee

MamaDee Well-Known Member

HI!

We are getting two month old kids next week. I am wondering what size and shape water container is best for them right now. I have a 8 quart bucket but thought it might be too tall for them (it's 8 inches). I also have a wider 4 inch tall 5 quart container.

It's taking longer than I thought to get water hooked up to the pump at the barn, so I'm trying to minimize the amount of carrying we have to do. But I don't want to use a container that's too big for them.

How much will two month old kids drink every day?

Dee

2. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

Either container should work - use whichever one is easiest to carry. The kids won't drink a whole lot, and even if they are minis 8" should not be too tall. The most important thing is you want a container that they can get out of easily if they get/fall into it so they don't drown. Depending on the number of kids (not sure if you are getting 2 1 month olds or multiple 2 month olds) you may need more than one container. Also, with containers that small I would change the water at least twice a day. Good luck.

Debbie

3. MamaDee

MamaDee Well-Known Member

I'm getting two one month old kids (nubians). So I guess the 8 qt. bucket should be fine. They certainly can't fall IN it! Now I'm hoping it's big enough. I don't want to have to hand carry water back to the barn more than twice a day. ; )

I hope we get water there soon!

Dee

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i think if they are two month old either container will be fine. i gues i would go for the 8qt because it is easier to cleanit every day. mine are getting twice a day fresh water.