What size tatoo set???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by midkiffsjoy, Jul 15, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Okay. I just got my membership kit back from ADGA and now I need to start tatooing my kids. Something Ive never done before.....though I doubt it'll be the worse chore Ive done, but before I can I need to buy a tatoo set. But I have NO IDEA what size to buy.

So what size letters/numbers do YOU guys use??? I have lamanchas and will be tatooing the tail webbing, but mom has Nubians and I'll probably be using the same set to tatoo her goats.

Thanks All!!!!

Joy

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I've used both the 5/16" and 3/8" set but we have Oberhasli and I've never tattooed a tail before.

The investment of a tattoo set will run around $40, so before you spend the money, try the one your mom has and see how it goes. Being Nubians, she might even have a larger one than 5/16. It might be one for cows and you don't want that for LaManchas. The Caprine Supply catalog has actual size tattoo descriptions for you to compare what you have. If you don't have their catalog, request one. They have very good basic management articles.

http://www.caprinesupply.com/shop/kid_raising6.html

3. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

We use the 3/8" on both our Nubians and LaManchas. The LaManchas need to grow a bit before you can tattoo them because there just isn't enough room on most baby tail webs. Good luck - it is not fun, but better than dehorning.

Debbie