Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a generator for my 20 ft. camper. all I may need to run is a few fans or a tv and DVD player. Any suggestion on a size ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Honda EU2000i on my boat to run the air conditioner, if you do not plan on ever having air conditoning or a refrigerator you can get by with the 1000, they are super quiet! If you get one of the cheap ones at Home Depot you will hate how much noise they make.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Onan gensets for camp vehicles are spendy but the 4000 watt one iswhat is usually sold in motorhomes..... theyare 2 cylander and quiet....

if you are gonna get one that just sits on the ground then get one with a honda motor, as they tend to last longer, and get one thatwill handle a fairly large surge as welll

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My husband and I were just talking today about the 12v. We have decided to say no to the generator. We found outdoor solar lights 2 for 25.00 today and we already have 2 small 12v fans. We priced a vcr/tv combo that is 12v at the store today and they are 150.00. So for what we spend on a generator we could save a lot by using a 12v system setup. Does anyone know of a website that sells 12v things such as tv lights sterios etc.?

thanks
countrygirl26

U

·
0 Posts
Lets face it, generators are convenient! Whether you're camping, without power because of blackout, working on some remote jobsite... whatever.

If you're the type that needs a tv/vcr/stereo while camping, you're probably the type that needs a generator. Although I don't use mine all that often even while camping... I certainly appreciate it when I do.

cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
You didn't mention a refrigerator. Is yours propane? I'm guessing the stove is propane.

I vote for solar. They make setups just for mobile homes.

C

·
0 Posts
You can also get an inverter for your vehicle for around $40 to power anything that you must have and you can't get in 12v. Basically, it turns your vehicle into a generator.

Leva

gobug said:
You didn't mention a refrigerator. Is yours propane? I'm guessing the stove is propane.

I vote for solar. They make setups just for mobile homes.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
Cygnet said:
You can also get an inverter for your vehicle for around $40 to power anything that you must have and you can't get in 12v. Basically, it turns your vehicle into a generator.

Leva
I have solar/inverter and generator 3,500 watt onan.Genny is always last choice,like for making electric perk coffee its really the best way to go.And sometimes I actually need that genny power,so it IS nice to have.That said ,its loud,rough,and stinky.A last choice for me.But those little hondas and yamahas,they are NICE!And you can get older ones on ebay in the 250 dollar range that are still very quiet.I wish I had the 1000 bucks(approx.) to get a nice new one.They are so advanced and lightweight,really amazing!True sine wave output,just like your home power,in many cases even cleaner.
BooBoo

·
Registered
403 Posts
As long as the topic of solar has come up, does anyone know where would you would go to find a VERY BASIC explanation of how to put together a simple solar set-up? The explanations I've seen in the past are way too technical for me to even begin to understand what would be involved.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
amelia said:
As long as the topic of solar has come up, does anyone know where would you would go to find a VERY BASIC explanation of how to put together a simple solar set-up? The explanations I've seen in the past are way too technical for me to even begin to understand what would be involved.
...................try here.....http://www.bergey.com./
...................and here....http://www.windsun.com

...............amelia, the conceptual framework for understanding an off grid power system for your home actually is quite simple...i.e.....Simply visualize a 5000 gallon water tank on a rock ledge a short distance from your home. this tank is continually feed\filled by a natural spring from a rock fissure in the side of the Hill. Your home is then supplied with water from this tank via a pipeline and gravity flow. You consume this water in different quantities on different days based upon need(s). If, you use MORE water\electricity than is available in one day , you will have to have a second source of water\electricity......OR.....Adjust your consumption to MATCH the Capacity of the Tank\batteries. It's all about Storing water\electricity and having additional sources of supply when your needs Exceed your supply.....be it water or electricity............fordy... :eek: :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts