what size generator do I need?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygirl26, May 7, 2004.

1. countrygirl26

countrygirl26 Active Member

I want to buy a generator for my 20 ft. camper. all I may need to run is a few fans or a tv and DVD player. Any suggestion on a size ?

2. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

I have a Honda EU2000i on my boat to run the air conditioner, if you do not plan on ever having air conditoning or a refrigerator you can get by with the 1000, they are super quiet! If you get one of the cheap ones at Home Depot you will hate how much noise they make.

3. punkrockpilot

On second thought GO SOLAR!

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Onan gensets for camp vehicles are spendy but the 4000 watt one iswhat is usually sold in motorhomes..... theyare 2 cylander and quiet....

if you are gonna get one that just sits on the ground then get one with a honda motor, as they tend to last longer, and get one thatwill handle a fairly large surge as welll

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Small honda or yamaha genny in the 1000-2000 watt range.Very quiet.The eu1000 and eu 2000 also allow you to parallel connect if you ever need more power.Very pricey though,big hit with the RV crowds,make for good neighbor if you use one in a campground.
    BooBoo

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Why go with a generator. Go with a battery bank, everythin you mentioned can be run off 12volts.

7. countrygirl26

countrygirl26 Active Member

My husband and I were just talking today about the 12v. We have decided to say no to the generator. We found outdoor solar lights 2 for 25.00 today and we already have 2 small 12v fans. We priced a vcr/tv combo that is 12v at the store today and they are 150.00. So for what we spend on a generator we could save a lot by using a 12v system setup. Does anyone know of a website that sells 12v things such as tv lights sterios etc.?

thanks
    countrygirl26

8. mightybooboo

Beware the outlets you are powering 12 volt goodies on.Our 12v 13 inch tv fried the wires on the 12v reseptacle(sp) in the Motorhome.They can pull quite a bit of juice and your wiring may be inadequate.
    BooBoo

9. punkrockpilot

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Camping world sells alot of the 12v items too, but probably at a premium.

11. Lets face it, generators are convenient! Whether you're camping, without power because of blackout, working on some remote jobsite... whatever.

If you're the type that needs a tv/vcr/stereo while camping, you're probably the type that needs a generator. Although I don't use mine all that often even while camping... I certainly appreciate it when I do.

cheers,

12. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

You didn't mention a refrigerator. Is yours propane? I'm guessing the stove is propane.

I vote for solar. They make setups just for mobile homes.

13. Cygnet

Cygnet Guest

You can also get an inverter for your vehicle for around $40 to power anything that you must have and you can't get in 12v. Basically, it turns your vehicle into a generator.

Leva

14. mightybooboo

I have solar/inverter and generator 3,500 watt onan.Genny is always last choice,like for making electric perk coffee its really the best way to go.And sometimes I actually need that genny power,so it IS nice to have.That said ,its loud,rough,and stinky.A last choice for me.But those little hondas and yamahas,they are NICE!And you can get older ones on ebay in the 250 dollar range that are still very quiet.I wish I had the 1000 bucks(approx.) to get a nice new one.They are so advanced and lightweight,really amazing!True sine wave output,just like your home power,in many cases even cleaner.
    BooBoo

15. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

As long as the topic of solar has come up, does anyone know where would you would go to find a VERY BASIC explanation of how to put together a simple solar set-up? The explanations I've seen in the past are way too technical for me to even begin to understand what would be involved.

16. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................try here.....http://www.bergey.com./
    ...................and here....http://www.windsun.com

...............amelia, the conceptual framework for understanding an off grid power system for your home actually is quite simple...i.e.....Simply visualize a 5000 gallon water tank on a rock ledge a short distance from your home. this tank is continually feed\filled by a natural spring from a rock fissure in the side of the Hill. Your home is then supplied with water from this tank via a pipeline and gravity flow. You consume this water in different quantities on different days based upon need(s). If, you use MORE water\electricity than is available in one day , you will have to have a second source of water\electricity......OR.....Adjust your consumption to MATCH the Capacity of the Tank\batteries. It's all about Storing water\electricity and having additional sources of supply when your needs Exceed your supply.....be it water or electricity............fordy... :eek: :)