What should I look for?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Jun 14, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

Well, here it is June, hotter than heck here..... in the 90s. I have nubians, boers, and one lamancha. My bucks are anywhere from 3 months to 6 or 7 months old. They do not have any odor as yet. I have a couple of questions. First, are they old enough to be able to get my does pregnant? What should I look for as far as behavior in the bucks and the does. My 3 grown does have become very competitive with each other.. butting, shoving, etc. also smelling each other. At feeding time they really get competitive and make the weirdest sound...lol They don't hurt each other though. I have not been through breeding season yet, so I am not really sure what to look for to signal that I need to put the does and bucks together. Thanks

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

yes they could get your does pregnant, which isnt really a problem unless you have young doelings in the herd, THEY dont need to be bred yet, if you want kids in december/january go ahead and leave the bucklings with the adult does, but for the most part you may not get any action in the older does untill later in the year,
    just dont leave bucklings and doelings of the same age togather as they will breed the doelings too young and you will have problems

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Your bucks may not be very fertile in really hot weather. Usually breeding season starts after things cool off a bit in the fall. I don't know where you are, but I don't like to have January or February babies, because it's too cold at that time of year here. Better to have them after things warm up a bit, but before the heat of summer. So work out when is the best time for your does to be kidding, and plan on putting them with the bucks about five months earlier than your desired kidding dates. It's nice if you can catch the does in heat and hand breed, as then you know their approximate due date and it's easier to make sure you are there when they kid. I've had trouble catching my current batch of goats in heat, so put them in with the buck for three or four weeks (to make sure they had at least one heat while in with him), and then had to watch closely for several weeks with each doe. Since my first doe kidded the end of February, and the last one kidded in May, it made for a long kidding season -- I'm really glad we are done with it for this year!

Kathleen