Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The neighbor boys 9 & 11 brought their dog up this evening,wanted my DH or son to get its collar off.I went to do it and almost died,the collar is into the flesh its a bloody stinkin mess.I told them to take it to a vet and hope the HS dont hear of this.we and the other folks around here have been feeding and watering him for 2 or 3 months.The mom and kids stay gone all the time,the dog lives in a mud hole chained,they throw some dry food to him maybe twice a week.It has been reported more than once nothing has happened so far.I know 2 people have asked for this dog & she wont give him away because the kids like him.I had to take the last dog this family had,same treatment.Long story.This is a beautiful husky,he could have been a smart and useful pet,but I am afraid he has been chained and neglected to long.I feel so guilty that I didnt check his collar,maybe tommorrow DS and I will go and see if we can do anything for him.If the kids told the mom what I said guess she wont be speaking to me!And I know he will never see a vet..

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Take matters into your own hands. If they are gone all the time it will be easy to take the dog to a vet yourself and say you found it running. I would break the chain just to make it convincing that the dog ran off. It won't stop then from getting another dog, or even checking the shelter, but the vet will be bound to get the collar off and either adopt it out or take it to the shelter. Poor baby! If animals control would follow up on reports then maybe these people would think twice about getting another. How selfish and inhumane they are!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I would call the police. And if nothing happened I would take the dog myself to the Vet like Willowynd suggested. Something needs to be done asap! Tell the police you think you see blood and it's bleeding to death. This is so horrible..poor dog :(

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I agree that you need to either call in the authorities or take the animal to the vet yourself. It's one thing to leave a dog chained 24 hours a day, quite another to inflict physical injury to it. Honestly, if it were me I think I would have just loaded it up in my car, driven the kids home and marched up to the door to tell the dog's owner that you were intervening because they dog was suffering horribly. If somebody faults you for intervening, that'll let you know who else you have no use for. :flame:

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I think an anonymous tip to the SPCA might be in order. Let them come out and evaluate the situation, they will take the doggie and probably find a good loving home for it. And the people will be facing fines for animal abuse/neglect. This grates my cheese, how can these people not KNOW what they are doing? Especially to a roaming, room needing dog like a husky!!!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
This is horrible! People get a puppy, put a collar on it and assume its not going to grow! DUH!! I have helped remove so many of these - once even a harness. The poor dog! Please help him any way you can!

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news !A neighbor has removed the collar! My mom just called and said he had caught the pup and taken it off,he is plenty mad.I had not told anyone except DH & DS.DH didnt want me to get involved,I am a very calm person but when see something like animal abuse I just lose it.Thank God that dog is free of the collar,now if his neck will heal up ok he will be in good shape.I think a few people will be looking into finding him a new home.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If the collar was imbedded in the neck, he'll probably need more than just having the collar removed. There is a huge risk of infection, so he'd need antibiotics, topical at least.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Also, he needs to have the hair removed around the wound. The hair will stick in the wound causing it to itch, so he scratches and tears the wound open more, causing more trauma and infection.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have some antibotics both topical and injection,will try to clean him up,if he hasnt disappered.Lot of folks really mad about this.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Is there any way you can have a vet look at this? Every time I have seen this happen, the area needed to be shaved, dead flesh has needed to be cut off...wound thoroughly cleaned. Antibiotics injection followed up with pills for at least 2 weeks. :)

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Good grief!!! They like him???? I'd hate to see what they do to a dog they don't like! And why would you care if the mom won't speak to you? I wouldn't be speaking to her! Call the authorities...ALL of them at ALL levels until something is done.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He is safe and looking good.At church sunday before last he came up and greeted us all,then layed down and licked my shoes!I am afraid he will have a permanent collar scar,the new owner hasnt put a collar on him yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts