What should I do?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I've been thinking about something for a while, and can't make up my mind. Let me set the stage...
    Daisy kidded in August, and she had mastitis in October. I gave her 20 days of Penicillin, and it got better. I wanted to get some ToMorrow in her too, and when I tried it wouldn't go in because of a lump at the base of the teat. I have decided that it is scar tissue that fused togeather. The vet said before the lump was there that I should put 7% iodine into the teat, which I never did b/c that sounds excessively painful. They also said that she probably won't produce milk in that side anymore.
    So heres the problems :
    She is going to be bred. She kidded with twins this year, so I expect at least twins next year. If one side is defective, should I bottle feed one, and let the other be dam raised? Or can they both be dam raised? Should I try to graft a kid to my other doe, Boston? If the one side of the udder does produce milk but since none can come out, how would I prevent them from trying to suck on the defective side? Is there any way to re open the teat at all? And finally, should I get a cheapo dairy goat to bottle feed them on?

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

My oldest goat, Carnival got mastitis when she was being dried up last fall. She gave birth to triplets in spring. Only one side of her udder came in properly. I took the two doelings off her and let her raise her buckling. She produced enough colostrum for all 3 kids. I bottle fed the girls. I have enough goats so that I had enough milk for the kids. Carnival actually had more milk than one kid needed. I allowed him to suck both sides. I have bred her again this fall. I have frozen a bunch of pasteurized milk to have on hand for my bottle babies. Some goats who have had mastitis do produce milk on both sides though their udders are not even. I would see if your vet can get a teat dilator into her teat. I use Today or Tomorrow in my goats. I have never used iodine in the teats.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

You might want to try Pirsue or Dryclox instead of Tomorrow. It is supposed to actually heal tissue damaged from mastitis. It can even out uneven utters, etc. It MIGHT fix the problem. You'll need to get it from your vet.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

It's already healed up. I think the scar tissue is what sealed it up. They are pygmy goats and my other doe is going to raise her own kids so I don't have any extra to bottle feed with.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Has your vet looked at her teat and determined that it is sealed? You may need to get another goat to feed the kids. If you do, be sure to pasteurize the milk before feeding the babies if the doe hasn't been tested for CAE recently.