What should I do with these?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by coventry49, Jul 21, 2005.

1. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I recently had a new doublewide manufactured home put on a foundation on my property. The setup crew left behind the six axles, complete with wheels, tires, springs and even the brake pads. They also left the two triangular "tongues", saying the stuff belongs to me.

What should I do with the stuff? They're taking up room in my back yard, and I am just not the mechanical type....

Best suggestions?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

If you never, EVER plan to sell or move the mobile home then I would suggest you sell the axles, etc.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep them if you ever move the home.

You can sell them - they can be used to make farm trailers, like a car hauler size. Folks will pay a few bucks for the stuff. There is a lot of debate as to whether any of it is legal for an over-the-road trailer, but many use it. The tires are likely stamped on the sidewall 'for mobil home use only' and are not worth anything as such - it is a fine to be using those. And then the rims are an odd size, 14.5" I believe so not worth much. But the axles & hitch is useful to some.

--->Paul

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If you have room under the double wide to store these things, you might consider doing that and decide whenever appropriate that you want to advertise selling them, or if you might ever need them again in moving if you sold the double wide at another time, or whatever. I'm sure there is value in those parts if you decided to sell them locally. No point giving it away if you had to pay for them....then you could get some more poultry or something?

5. coventry49

Thanx for the info. I plan on this being the last home I ever live in, so neither it nor I am going anywhere. Perhaps I'll put them onto eBay??

MW, perhaps Crashy is right: I can never have too many chickens! :sing:

-Barb

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

My opinion---you won't get squat selling the axles and tongues on Ebay. Too much shipping charges for anyone to pay more than give away prices.

Talk to a company that does welding, a company that sells or manufactures trailers, or even to local farmers about selling the items.

Perhaps offer a farmer a trade--axles for ½ a butchered beef or chickens or feed or grain for animals. You might gain friends that will help you whenever needed. Snow removal, dirt leveled, garden plot disced, etc. might be a good trade.

7. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a thought, I had a friend in Calif. That stored the axles and wheels, etc under her manufactured home, even being on a foundation. When she went to sell, even with the foundation, because she had the axles and wheels under the house the bank went here that it was could be moved so it was not considered a house on a foundation. Check with your City/ state regualtions on this.

8. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Those springs are good carbon steel that would make great knife blades. Same with the tongues. Tires could be used for planting, Axles? I dunno.

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

MW, perhaps Crashy is right: I can never have too many chickens!

-Barb
    YA......there ya go!!!! See What a wonderful thing you have there huh!!! LOL :clap:

10. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Well, I see these used for a whole lot of things here. You can put them together, wide ends touching, for a raised diamond shaped flower or herb bed. If you place them on wire you won't have any moles or gophers in your new Herb or flower bed. You can use them to hold your burn barrels(if you use these) and they keep the barrel up for good air circulation. You can put wading pools up on them so they drain well(for ducks). Use your noodle and look around. YOu will think of something! LOL

LQ

11. katiesgarden1

katiesgarden1 Active Member

My dad Used the tongues of ours to make skids for my new chicken house It is very nice its 10X16 and I can take it with me where ever I go. :happy: It is way cool. The axels and tires maybe someone might want them for making trailers. Or maybe there might be a steel outlet that would give you $ for the weight of them.
    Enjoy your new home

12. coventry49

That wading pool idea is great! I have a couple of pools for my geese, and it's a real pain to shovel out all that water everyday! I'll look into that.

I guess I'll put a couple of 3x5 cards at the local feed stores to see if anyone wants to barter for the axles. Good thinking!

The ideas about the tongues for skids and the herb/flower gardens sound interesting, too. With just two tongues and at least three good ideas, I'll need to decide which will be the best use, now. :p

NOW thanks to you, my HT friends, I have something to work with.

13. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Don't know about your area, but there are companys that buy these, then if and when you decide to move they loan them back to you..

14. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

The toungs make good road graders for gravel.

mikell

15. luckysranch

luckysranch Well-Known Member

I used to sell mobile homes - Read your contract carefully and make sure that the company that sold you the home does not own them (this is something that is usually written out in the contract). Most home movers are independent contractors and I wouldn't trust what they tell you. If there is nothing in the contract about the sellers owning the tongue and axels I would sell them. You may not find a buyer for the tongue, but I bet you will sell the axels and wheels.