What should I do with my jalapenos?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jex99in00, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

Hi everyone, I have a big jalapeno plant that is producing way more peppers than I could ever hope to keep up with. What should I do with them? Can I dry or powder them? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

They can be dried, or they will freeze well.

3. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

How about slicing them and combining them with olive oil?

4. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Slice into rings and dehydrate. Really good added to salsa and chili later.

5. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

Don't have a dehydrator....

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I wish I had that problem. The deer have eaten all of my Jalepenos and left all the sweet peppers. I even interplanted them to see if they could tell the difference, and sure enough they searched the garden for only the Jalepenos. So I guess you could use them for deer bait.

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

lol, pre-seasoned venison. that is a bit unusual. i would think they would go for the sweet peppers.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

You can pickle them, put them in oil, dry them on a window screen in the sun (take them in at night) or in the oven, freeze them, share them with family...

For pickling, wash the peppers. Pack tightly in mason jar. In a saucepan, heat to boiling 1 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pickling spice (the pickling spice is optional). Pour hot solution over peppers to within 1 inch of top of jar. Pot on cap, screw band firmly tight, and process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

BE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES WHEN PROCESSING HOT PEPPERS. YOU CAN GET CHEMICAL BURNS FROM THE CAPSAICIN IN THE PEPPERS. I have a few friends who wound up taking a trip to the ER because they didn't protect their hands.

Have fun! :)

Pony!

9. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

I dried a bunch of them in the oven. Just half, arrange on cookie sheet and put in low oven until dry. If you are sensitive to the heat, be careful, drying them inside can act as a tear gas in the house. Then powder them. We have a couple of jars now of pure jalapeno powder that we use on almost everything! Good luck.

10. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Do you dry them when they are green or red?

11. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure about jalapenos but I have had habaneros in the freezer for about 5 years now. I pull out a few every year when I make salsa.

12. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Red Devil Suace (Lee Fanucchi's recipe -- Fresno Cnty, CA Master Gardener)
    1 pound Jalapeno peppers, stems removed
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 Tablespoons salt
    2-3 gloves of garlic, skins removed

Place all in blender and "chop" until fine. Place in glass jar and store in refrigerator. It will last up to 2 years. Can use either red or green peppers.

Made this last year and man is it good!! The longer it sits the more the flavours mingle and the heat cuts down. I'm making gallons of it this year..lol!
    corry

13. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

I dried both red and green jalapenos. Both are delicious.

14. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

We eat a lot of peppers.... all kinds. So, because I never know what I'll be using them for next, I freeze them.

Peppers are easy because they don't require any blanching. I just rinse and dry them. I spread them out on a cookie sheet to freeze them, initially. That way any moisture won't make them freeze together... makes it easy to pull out just one or two when I need them. Then dump them in a ziplock and throw them back in the freezer. They're good for pretty-much-ever!

15. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Oooh... I'm gonna try this. Sounds like something I could eat a LOT of! Thanks!

16. connie in nm

connie in nm Well-Known Member

I use jalepenos to make my own salsa. I boil them til they lose their bright green color then throw 7 or so in the food processor with a large can of tomatoes and spices.

One year I had a jalepeno plant that produced over 90 jalepenos. I just boiled them and froze them. Worked great! Took them out throughout the year as I needed them.

17. jenangelcat

jenangelcat Active Member

Baked and Stuffed Jalepenos

Ingredients

12oz cream cheese, softened
    1c shredded cheddar cheese
    1T bacon bits
    1/4c-1/2c bread crumbs
    25 jalepeno peppers, halved and deseeded
    rubber gloves for handling peppers

Instructions

Mix together cream cheese, cheddar and bacon bits.
    Stuff pepper halves.
    Bake in a 375F oven for about 15 mins.
    Remove from oven and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Broil on low for about 5 more minutes.
    Serve and have a glass of milk handy to put out the flames.

18. Looking4ewes

Looking4ewes Well-Known Member

I cut off the tops, slice lengthwise, and freeze in a ziplock bag. I guess I could just toss them in whole to save time.

19. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

Leave the stem on your peppers. Take a sewing needle and double strands of thread. String each pepper on the thread by piercing just below the stem in the thickest part of the stem cap. Hang in the kitchen or outside out of the sun. They will turn beautifully orange and red and can be picked and crumbled individually for use in cooking. For a startling taste-treat, try a few jalapeno flakes with sweet fruit compote, like melons and peaches.
    Enjoy!