Homesteading Forum banner

What should I do- 2 seedlings in 1 pot

714 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  twind59 
#1 ·
On my seed packet instructions it said to plant 2 seeds in each pot. Well all of the seeds I planted sprouted, so I have 2 tomato seedlings in each of my small peat pots. Same with peppers. I'm afraid if I remove one I will damage the roots of the other one. Should I just leave them or should I try to get one of them out?

Again, thanks.

#2 ·
You can leave them, if you've got the space for them to grow. If you don't, or you don't want that many plants, don't pull the extra, cut it off. You won't disturb the roots on the remaining plant that way.
Meg

#5 ·
WHile I don't use peat pots, I do often double seed my trays and six-packs. My trays are cast offs from a dear friend at an nursery, and seed 288 plants each.

I usually double the seed, then transplant into six-packs, and then into 3" or 4" pots before the weather is such that I can harden them off and get them in the garden. Its a lot of work, but I never go hungry and always have extras to sell!!

Splitting the roots will not hurt tomatoes or peppers, nor will it affect most herbs. If you can cut through the webbing on the pot, simply pull it gently in half, using a finger to stabilize the roots as you split them. So long as both plants have a couple 'good' white roots attached, they should both be fine.

If its any consolation - if you DO lose a plant or two, it will generally be a weakling anyway, and you still have most of the other doubles, and so, near twice as many as you would have had otherwise!!!

Take the lower set of leaves off of peppers and tomatoes, and plant so that those spots where leaves were removed are at/or under the soil - they will sprout new roots along their stems.

I would not leave two plants growing together so closely (in the peat pots), as they will compete with each other and neither will produce the way they should.

Sue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.