What Seed Catalogs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ninn, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

I need to order seed catalogs and start ordering seeds and plants. Which plants do better from which beginnings? Which companies offer the plants that do the best for my zone? (5b/6a) How much should I plan to plant for a family of 5 and still have some to share? I know I am late getting started with the planning. At least the garlic and onion beds are ready!!

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

first read this thread:
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=155707

Zebraman has listed alot of good on line seed suppliers.
    You probably won't find garlic starts this time of the year. It is normal to start it in the fall. You can still get a good crop of garlic with a spring planting though. For this year you can get some store bought heads and plant those. There are fancier breeds, that are supplied by seed companies if you want to try those later.

The plants you will need are tomatoes, peppers, egg plant, onions ,cabbage and broccolli, if you plan to grow them.
    It's best to buy seed for corn, beans, peas and root crops.
    lettuce, Squash and cucumbers can be done either way.
    If your feeding a family of 5 you probably cann't plant enough, especially if they are teen age boys. But becarefull and start small and work up to a larger garden. It can be alot of work.
    The things I listed as needing plants can be started at home, You'll need the seed, starting mix, small containors for pots and some shop lights.

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Ninn;First of all http://www.heirloomseeds.com/index.html are in PA.

www.southernexposure.com in VA.

www.woodprairie.com Is the only affordable place that still offers Russian Red (Hardneck)Garlic until Feb.

This is an Average:

Plant Amount Yeild
    Beans 1/2 oz.seeds 120#
    Broccoli 40 plants 75#
    Carrots 1/2 oz.seeds 100#
    Corn 3-4 oz.seeds 120-ears
    Cucumber 1/2 oz.seeds 120#
    Leaf lettuce 1/4 oz.seeds 50#
    Okra 2 oz. seeds 100#
    Onion 1 oz. seeds 100#
    Peppers 24 plants 60#
    Potatoes 6-10# seed potatoes 100#
    Spinach 1 oz. seeds 40-50#
    Tomatoes 36 plants 100#
    Tomato 1 packet (40 seeds) 150#
    Turnips 1/2 oz. seeds 50-100# (greens & turnips)

Squash:
    Summer 1 oz. seeds 150#
    Winter 1/2 oz.seeds 100#

4. Ninn

WOW!! I may need to build more beds! Thanks for all the advice, guys.

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If you need 100# of tomatoes, I doubt it you'd want 36 plants unless they were little patio types like my Balkon Star. With the right varieties, you could get 1,000# from that many! Determinate utility types should easily give 10-15 pounds per plant. One control Paquebot Roma produced 17.2#. Indeterminate utility types will do 15-35 depending upon variety. Stopped keeping track of a Hellfrucht after 20# ripe fruit and nearly as much green when frost finally stopped that monster. Abe Lincoln, Goose Creek, and Red Nyagous easily produced 25# per plant last year although perhaps under ideal conditions. Of semi-determinate utility types, WI55 was in the 15-20# range as was WV63.

Get a 2-pack of a cherry variety, 4-pack of a good utility type, and a 4-pack of a large plum or Roma type and you'll easily have your 100# if that were your goal. Multiply up from there.

Martin

6. Ninn

How much spaghetti sauce can u make with 100 pounds of tomatoes? I am not good with numbers-can you break it down into useable product for me?

Also, is that 100 pounds before or after the kids have eaten them off the vine like apples? Just checking before I plan.

7. Paquebot

100 pounds will make approximately 30 pints/15 quarts.

That's what the two cherry tomato plants are for!

Martin

8. Ninn

How hard is it to grow those tiny little yellow tomatoes? They are wonderful to eat all by themselves and my kids love them. Can I grow them in a hanging pot (so the cats don't get them) on my front porch or would they do better in a large window box? This might save my cherry tomatoes for salad and my beefsteaks and such for sauce. 15 quarts is not nearly enough sauce for a year. We go thru 5 or 6 quarts a month!! This family eats alot of pasta.

What other veggies could I plant in Hanging Baskets? I can't grow a flower to save my life, but if I am depending on a plant for food, I will pay more attention to it.

9. Paquebot

Tiny yellow tomatoes would be yellow cherry tomatoes. I never give advice on growing anything in hanging baskets since they are the most demanding for attention. But window boxes are usually designed to keep plants productive as well as merely alive and ornamental. Sungold is the best small yellow/gold cherry tomato on the market. I'd almost guarantee that when it comes time to look around for nursery plants, Sungold will be among them. No problem here growing them in 3-gallon pots. That is one way to keep them under control and not try to sprawl all over. They would work well in window boxes as long as a proper watering schedule was carefully maintained.

If you intend to go through 5 or 6 quarts of sauce per month, multiply the previously-mentioned number of utility and plum type plants by 4 or 5. Five quarts per month would be 60 quarts and thus require 400# of fruit.

Martin

10. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

<<in a hanging pot (so the cats don't get them) >>

Have the cats been a problem for tomatoes in the past? I would think they would be repelled by the taste of the foliage.

11. Ninn

I meant the neighborhood cats. Since we live in a trailer park, they go everywhere. I don't want them using my tomato bed as a litter box. I anticipate that they will be into everything anyway. I have no idea how to keep them out without planting one bed of just catnip and fennel for the cats.

12. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

i've heard putting a couple of mothballs on the ground will keep them away... this was for flower beds though... not sure if it is a good idea for a veggie garden

13. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

fedco seeds They are for northern gardeners. VERY good prices, NO genetically modified seeds. They also won't carry any seeds that are put out by companies owned by monasanto(sp?)--the huge GMO seed giant that is tring to take over the world(literally!).
    Also territorial(although higher priced) and rh shumways are great catalogs:) Happy planning.
    You may want to stick w/ high yielding hybrids if space is a concern. Try to grow up where you can. Last year was a crappy year for us...so I don't have much advice in the way of varieties...but we are trying "provider" greenbeans this year on a glowing recomendation...