What records do you keep?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by greenacres, Apr 12, 2005.

1. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

What types of records do you keep and how do you keep them? We mainly use a big calendar that we write everything on, then I just put it in the file cabinet at the end of the year. I record births, heats, maintenance, etc. on it. All of the goat papers are in a spiral bound book. In it, I keep show records and such. So, what do you do?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I keep a general 'farm book' for everything here. It's a two inch three-ring binder. I buy a pad of generic calander sheets at the office supply store...the kind that has the squares, and you fill in the months and days. They have about 1/4 of the sheet at the bottom for notes, too. I keep two years in the book, this year and next year. Behind each month, I put in a page or two of regular notebook paper.

So, directly on the calendar, I write who got bred, who went broody, who hatched/freshened, how many eggs for that day, etc. On the pages behind it, I write out details, such as how many kits in a litter, or what got planted where, .

On next years calendar, on the notes section at the bottom of the sheet, I write reminders for when CD&T's are due, when to start watching for broody hens, when the plums are going to be ripe, when kids are due, when and where they do fireworks, and where the best view was! and all that stuff.

I have pockets in the back of the book for pedigrees and registration papers right now, but am making separate books for goats and rabbits for those.

Otherwise, I can pull the notebook out once each day, and make notes about everything. It works well for me. Might be too bulky for someone with more stuff than I've got, since I have nothing on a commercial level. I keep a flock of about 30 chickens, a pair of geese, a trio of muscovies, 5 goats, a trio of rabbits, and will be adding a trio of turkeys this year. Not hard to keep up with that with my system, but if I had 50 goats I might have to come up with something else!

Hope this helps,
    Meg

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I keep two zippered folders. The first has all the registration papers, receipts, original documents, etc. That one never leaves my desk.

The second zippered folder has copies of registration papers, indexed out by the name of goat, and a homemade form/spreadsheet for each goat indicating all activity associated with them. They all have their own sheet, which states a description of what we did, who perfomed it, when they are due next, breed date, due date, etc. I've only had this system for about 9 months but so far it's working great for me. When the sheet gets full, I transfer everything to the computer (as a back up) & print out a blank sheet.

Ellie

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have a separate calender for goats, cattle, horses, garden, and people. I usually have to squeeze my chickens and dogs and cats in on my garden calender. Then I have a large binder with sections for each different thing that corresponds to the calenders. It gives me two different ways of looking at things. If I try to keep all the species on one calender it is too confusing with their shots and due dates etc.

I weigh my baby goats on a hospital baby weighing scale that goes up to 36 pounds. I am weighing them weekly and chart their progress on graph paper. That way I can see if someone if lagging or if a particular doe is a better mother or if one buck is better than another at producing heavy kids with good early growth rates etc.

5. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I actually have breeding "cards" that were used at the walking horse farm I worked at. They work out quite well. It's an 8x11 light weight cardboad. You could make your own on the computer (these were printed for me). Turn the paper on its side put a space for the goats name at the top, year, date of birth etc....
    in the body of the card, label the months down the left hand side with a block (big enough to mark in) for each of the days across the card. In the blocks I mark w=worm, b=bred k=kidded etc... on the day these took place. If I do trimming or medications etc.., I put a check mark in the block and make a note on the back of the card of the date and what was done. Punch three holes in the top of the card and put in a ring binder. Make one for each animal. When the year is up, I put the cards with my other farm information.
    This way, I can keep track of who was bred to who, who was sick, wormed, trimmed etc by just looking at their individual cards.

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i used 4x6 index cards. name of doe (or buck) on top line, next line was reg #, dob, date of purchase, then dam and sire.
    on this card i recorded breeding, worming, vaccs, kidding (#born, etc)...kept them in a wally world photo album thingy..those free ones that come w/a set of pics....

then i drew up a milk record sheet that i could use two different ways, one for each goat, for a longer period of time, or i could use one for all 5 goats for a shorter period of time...had the day of week at top and am/pm columns where i recorded the weight from each doe each milking. worked well when it didn't disappear.

7. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I wish you would post copies of how you set out your cards/ records for those that are record keeping deficient. I can fill in the blanks but I am horable at designing a record sheet ;) . I can't afford the record software yet, I also have chickens & rabbits i want to get records for.

I guess it takes time figuring out what works. I am proud of myself, having animals and kids has gotten me more organized than I thought I would be :D :haha: . if I had been this organized in school I might have been one of the curve blowers. :p :cool: . Okay, Maybe not, but I would have made life easier. :D

8. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I keep all my records in the Goat Breeders notebook program on the computer. We started it last March so its been a year and I have been albe to keep current with all my goats. We have both dairy and meat goats. It tracks breedings, births, health maintance,feeding programs, pedegrees,# of kids a doe has in her lifetime and also milk output for each milker. It tracks all my expenses and income and computes a yearly cost per animal at the end of the year. There are parts I don't need or use such as show info, meat or fiber quality. When I sell a goat I can print out a complete health maintance record for the new owner. I don't have all the paper and books I used to have. As you can tell I love this program and it didn't cost an arm and leg and was easy to understand.

JR05

9. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I've heard a few good things about Goat Breeders Notebook. Can you tell me where you purchased it?

One downfall I've heard people say is that the pedigree doesn't extend enough on several programs. I'm in the market for breeding software, but want one that will print out a 7 generation pedigree, preferably. Does G.B.N. do that? Any other suggestions?

10. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

It only has 5 generations available. I don't know if they have upgraded it since I bought the program. I got it through Dairy Goat magazine .com There are two programs available--one is basic and the other is like business or commercial has everything. I got mine on sale so I don't know the amount they are asking now. It has really worked for me though. All I can say is look into it if it is what you need try it.