Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
working on??? What are you knitting,crocheting,painting,making????? Can anyone share pictures???

I knit a shoulder bag in olive green and then washed it and felted it. It's cute, but will I ever use it???LOL

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I'm recently retired and still in the gathering up stage of assembling some projects to entertain me. So far, I have the stuff to make pressed flower note cards and enough supplies to finish assembling the family scrapbook I started about a century ago. I also have a hankerchief quilt top that needs a serious look after sitting in the bottom dresser drawer for about 20 years waiting to be finished and quilted. And yet it could all be put on hold if I can find me a fiddle and a fiddle teacher.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am halfway through with a knitted scarf - cable pattern (learning the cable pattern). I will probably finish it about mid-summer. Ha Ha. My projects have a tendency to get almost completed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
OMG! Those rag balls are precious. How? Where? That's all I need - one more project to start. Notice, I did not say finish.

Cocinera

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Ok, here goes........I have a red/white quilt I am hand quilting from my chair. I have a red/multi throw about half finished on my riggid heddle loom, I have a 6'triangle shawl started on my tri-loom, I have all the blocks ready to machine applique around my sunbonnet sue quilt top, and always have coordinating fabric in a basket to start my next table topper. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow if you would like. As you can see, when I am in the house, I am doing SOMETHING!! Of course, who can resist sitting and rocking beside the wood stove? Marilyn

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
I just made my hubby's project list for Jan-May...won't he be thrilled! Now off to upstairs sewing room to organize. Have a snowman (quilted wall hanging) I want to experiment with to see if it would be easy for next yr xmas. I try to think of something light to mail. I have 2 I mail pkgs.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I am sure I need an indoor hobby soon.. but right now all of my attentions are focused on garden planning. I have been and will again today head out to clear the plot and help the pigs. I pointed out some scrub trees to DH and he is going to cut them down (maybe out there as we speak..I don't believe it) and we were going over the new chicken pens and the plans he had for those. Fun, fun, fun.
And then it will be time to start some seeds inside...

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I'm trying to get back into painting, I used to be ok, but it's been a LONG time.

Apparantly, painting is NOT like riding a bike.

I suppose it's a start, I've been working on it for a while now, but I keep putting it away, frustrated. :shrug:

·
Rebelicious
574 Posts
funny you should ask! :nono:

(and I just LOVE how you so nonchalantly "knitted up a shoulder bag" - just like "THAT"! ha ha - I whipped up a shoulder bag - no biggy - it was EASY!!! na-nah-nana-naaaaaaa-nah!" All the while I anguish and second guess every dern knit stitch! :grit: Must be nice! hee hee)

Seriously, I see 7 years olds and blind people knit :eek: and here I am struggling over a dern scarf like I'm attempting brain surgery or some such thing! ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! This is supposed to be RELAXING and FUN - so "RELAX" I keep telling myself - only my fingers don't get the message. Oh, but maybe a nice sherry will help. :happy: I now stand in complete and total awe at all of you real knitters out there :bow: who can do what you do. I am satisfied to be a "hack" but I'll keep trying.

Now don't laugh. It'll hurt my feelings. But here's all I got - so far.

And in between frustrations of dropping a stitch or having to backtrack and "tink", I have done a couple of these "quilted" rag balls. THESE -at least - were easy!

Now see, I can knit like crazy and just finished one sock and started on the match this week, but then I look at your quilted balls and look at my not so great quilt square........but just like the knitting I will keep trying with the quilting. It took me a long long time to knit and actually make something that was usuable. My first real knitted project was a baby blanket for my last born. I started it when I was 3 months pregnant and finished it the night I went in to have her. I learned alot from that blanket about knitting, patience and not giving up. I will have to apply it all to quilting too.

BTW, your scarf looks great! I love that yarn.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
not quite as crafty a project as the other posters, but my "project" yesterday was to dismantle an old couch in our basement. Too environmental to allow dh to burn it, and too cheap to pay to take it to the dump, so I gathered some tools (utility knife, rubber mallet, hammer, pliers)and took it apart!

Now I have more room in the basement, some salvaged wood I can use for something else, webbing to fix the seat in a chair needing repair, old fabric to use for weed barrier/mulch in the garden, foam to repair the cushion for our outdoor swing, some nifty pieces of heavy guage wire. It was a 7' long couch, and I only have one paper bag of trash (mostly staples and other bits too small to reuse)!!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
My husband and I are reassembling a 16X18 ft. log cabin. We hired some guys to do the heavy lifting of the logs and notching them back together. Now it's up to us. Yesterday we placed a bunch of rock under the porch/cabin. I'm really surprised I'm able to stand as some of those rocks were HEAVY! DH is out right now placing the switches for the electric. We weren't initially going to go with electricity, but figured it was a "sign" when the first hole we dug cut into the electric line (oops).

Using reclaimed lumber for ceilings/floors/etc. Been interesting going into all these old buildings tearing out reuseble materials. Found an old wood cookstove on craigslist that'll need a little sanding and paint also.

I'd post a picture but I'm a little (ok, a lot) tech. challenged. Enjoy seeing all the pictures of your projects you're all doing....

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I ordered some fabric charm packs to begin Christmas gifts for this coming Christmas. Does that count? LOL

I plan to make kleenex holders and table runners for our girls this year. I also have the Christmas Cards that we received this year to recycle for next Christmas' cards.

We are also working on remodeling the kitchen and now dining room which will become part of the kitchen.

Jan

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well, my neighbor wants to learn to knit so we've been knitting lately. I think it will be a sleeping cap when it is done, mostly it is a cabled beanie at the moment.

Otherwise, my current project is a hydraulic coconut splitter. I've got a hydraulic car jack, a cross section of I-beam with a sharpened edge and the rest of the metal picked out to weld up a frame to hold the coconut while pressing it through the cutter. I haven't a clue if it will work but there's all these coconuts in the back yard and they are hard to husk so I'm hoping this will just split them in two. Then the dogs and chickens can eat them and I can see if the meat can be ground into coconut butter. Sorta like tropical peanut butter. That's the plan, anyway.

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
Otherwise, my current project is a hydraulic coconut splitter.
A hydraulic coconut splitter...Now of all the things I might GUESS you'd say, I would have never imagined that!!! We sure have a VARIETY of stuff goin' on around the forum, don't we? :D

I've started on another "cold weather hat"--a nice hat worked in the round in a simple garter stitch. This hat looks and fits great, and works up fast. For any of you guys still learning to knit, it's a good beginner project, as you can see results fast. If y'all want the pattern, let me know. This is the 5th one I've made this season.

I'm fixin' to eyeball those quilted ball instructions right now...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am crocheting a scrapghan with all the leftover yarn from other projects. At first it was real ugly, but now I like the colors.

·
Registered
576 Posts
WIHH...love those quilted balls,have always feel intimidated to try one but maybe this year I will get around to it! And knitting , crocheting or sewing...well when it comes to needles i have two left hands and both of them are all thumbs,lol

I did make a felt snowman Christmas card yesterday for a challenge on another board, wont make another one, i now have this dislike of felt, lol and today I made an Indianapolis Colts glass block light for my great nieces birthday which was yesterday.

I am trying to think of something else to work on to keep me occupied for the evening....something besides Pogo, lol

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I found a lot of yarn on sale the day after Christmas. I have a set of round knitting looms, so I am currently making hats. With the yarn that is left I'm making squares for a blanket for my DD.

The hats will be put away until next Fall when we have our homeschooler's craft fair. Any that don't sell will be donated to the community centre for distribution to needy people. That's what I did this year. I also got some read, white and green yarn to crochet Christmas stockings for the craft fair.

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
That's beautiful! I wish I could paint.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see the felted purse. Darn, I really wanted to see that, too.

I love pictures of projects. Post some more!

Edited: Oh, now I can see it. Lovely!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts