What prices do you charge to sell your veggies?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Sioux Nation, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Sioux Nation

Sioux Nation Active Member

I am thinking about selling my extra veggies during the farmers market this year.

Yet, I have no idea what prices to put on my items. Does anyone have a good idea where to begin?

Thank you,

Sioux Nation

2. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Happy Birthday! I noticed that it is your birthday. I like your name. Are you Native American? I am also interested in the prices for my extra home grown veggies. I thought about trying to find out by going to a year round farmer's market in our area. I am also wondering if I need to buy a scale for weighing veggies?

3. Sioux Nation

Sioux Nation Active Member

Less than 1/8th in me---enough to loose it if I were to get a noose bleed.

Thank you!

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom listens to the market report on the radio every day to determine her price and she pays attention to what other farmers are selling their produce for at the market. She has a scale for weighing veggies. She's been selling at the farmer's market for years.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Selling by the pound in Kansas means that you are REQUIRED by the state to have certified accurate scales, carrying the state inspection sticker. In other words fairly high dollar scales.

I'd much rather sell by volume measures which approximate the same amount as weight. Perhaps furnish scales so that they can get the approximate weight of what they are buying, but be clear about the purchase by volume or item, not weight.

Perhaps it isn't the same where you are at.

I would rather not prepackage goods as some do, although that would be another way around weighing.

6. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

we don't really have any good farmers markets around here but several people just set up roadside stands to sell their surplus, usually its $2 for a dozen ears of corn, $1 for a head of cabbage, $1 for three bell peppers or three yellow squash or three zucchini, they usually have a small ziplock sandwich bag full of small hot peppers for $1, melons are usually $1 for cantaloup and $2 for watermelon, $1 for three big tomatoes, nothing is very high because they would rather sell it than let it rot in the garden. Usually the stands run on the honor system, they have a cashbox that is fastened to the table with a slit in the top to drop in the money and a sign telling the prices and sacks piled on the table with the veggies and everyone helps themselves and drops their money in the box.

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We usually go by what the markets are asking that week. That way you can tell your customers what they can get it for down the road. If we have lots of a particular thing and don't want to take it home we discount it. Better to make friends for the following week than to not sell it at all. Good luck. We love the farmers markets for the new neighbors we meet.

8. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

may I ask what areas everyone is from?
    Kaza

9. melinda

melinda Well-Known Member

at the farmers market I worked at in Houston, TX, the growers often used a plate-type thing - fill it for a price, or a by-the-piece price. yeah, don't get into weights - you'll get the wrath of the weights and measures folks! The farmers market growers near me here in AZ also do by-the-piece, and some prepackaging. however - if you package a lettuce mix and twist-tie it, you've "processed" it and might be subject to health code regulations.

Visit some markets in your area to see what the norm is. In the Houston market, I know it urked the growers when someone's prices were considerably higher or lower than everyone else's. I'm sure the other growers will be glad to talk to you about it - all the growers I've met are very generous and sharing!

By the way, have any of you done "microgreens"? A vendor in houston did that - it's essentially your thinnings of lettuces and herbs, sold for a nice price, and used at all the fancy restaurants in town as salad toppings. and very yummy!

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Where are you in southeast AZ? We are in Willcox and are planning on selling here. Carla lives in San Simon and sells in Tucson. What are you growing this year? We hope to do the good sellers and easy to grow vegies. Last year was a grow everything and see what sells kind of year for us.

11. melinda

melinda Well-Known Member

hey! I just answered you on the other thread. I'm more southeast than you - south of Portal and Rodeo on hwy 80. Not a grower, just sell my wares (soaps & such) at farmers markets. Did you send some of your stuff to Bisbee last year? Willcox is close on the map, but a loong way from us to go over or around the Chiricahuas!

I did the downtown Tucson market a couple of times, but I don't think their location is good - hard to get to, hard and $$ to park. (plus it's too far for me)

I'm starting to think I'm a farmers market junky!!