What Price?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by farmmaid, Jun 18, 2006.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We are raising some nice (and delicious) NZ rabbits. Friends have wanted to buy some but do not know what to charge. They dress @ 5-6# and are shrink-wrapped and already frozen...Joan

2. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

So much depends on the demographics of your area. I'd try calling around to various stores and butcher shops checking if any of them have sell rabbit. Then judge your price accordingly.

Where I live, near North Bay in Northern Ontario, there is one local grocery that carries rabbit. It's brought in from Toronto. The last time I checked price a 3.5 lb. rabbit was $18+ Canadian. About $5 per pound. Cousin in Napanee that has raised rabbits for years sells hers for $5 per pound. She is adamant and consistent with her pricing. She does not sell for less to ANYONE - not friends, not family. Everyone and their dog would be happy with 'cheap' protein. Establish and maintain your market as a high quality specialty product.

I have found with my jams and jellies that I sell at the farmers market - put it in a smaller jar and put a higher price on it - and people buy more! Mind you, I make specialty jams (like Chocolate Covered Cherries Jam) and I get $5 for a 250ml jar. My Chili Sauce I sell in a 500ml jar for $7. People don't like my price I tell them - no problem - I'm sure you can make it yourself - you spend the time chopping and all the electricity for the slow simmer all day, the cost of the jars, etc. People look at me funny, walk around the rest of the market, come back and buy 2!!!

I intend to be as rigid about my rabbit prices (when I actually get some for the freezer!)

3. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Bernadette. If we do not appropriately value the fruits of our labour then no one else will either.

I have given rabbit meat and eggs to certain people. It's called a gift and it is something I chose to offer to them, when I felt like it.

When people, even friends and family, ask to buy something, that is different. They should expect to pay fair market price. Or they always have the DIY option.

If it is difficult to set limits, you could soften the blow by giving the first rabbit free, at the same time telling them that if they enjoy it and want more, they will cost $5 a pound, or whatever you decide to charge. Either they will be glad to pay that much or they will never ask again. Either way you come out ahead. It takes hard work and money to raise rabbits. Yours! Take your lesson from the Little Red Hen.

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Joan ,,, When you say they dress @ 5-6# what do you mean ??

Here in NC ,, they sell rabbit in 2 1/2 pound packs for $14.99 appx $4.99+ a pound ,, and everyone is right ,, people want their meat free/cheap ,,

I have had hubs friends tell me they want to buy some rabbit ,, I'll tell them well I charge $1 a week of age for alive rabbits ,,

.. some have had the nerve to tell me "oh thats too much I can go to the auction and buy some baby rabbits for $2 - $3 each ,, I have told them "well go right ahead and go buy them then ,, feed and my time costs too" ..

hub will tell me to sell them rabbit froze from the freezer for $8 :grump: ,, IF he don't just give them one ,, totally peeving me off :flame: ,, He hates butchering so HE normally delays butchering as long as he can ,, most of the time they are 10 - 12 weeks old ,, live weight 5+ - 6+ pounds ,, dressed carcasses 2 1/2 to 3+ pounds ..

I finally told him you can give your so called friends 1 !! but when they want another they can PAY for it ,, the store charges ,, why should I raise and feed them and You butcher and clean them and people expect them to be $3 a package ,, GRRRR!!!!!

he also will give away the canned peppers I do for him every year ,, I keep telling him the jars and MY time spent canning is worth something ,, if they keep 'visiting' and say "those peppers were sure good" .. SELL them the next ones !! (I also tell these same people I would appreciate the jars back -- and do you think I've EVER gotten any back)

He has one friend who does pay ,, she will come by and tell me I want to buy some of those peppers and she dosen't mind paying me $3.50 a jar and told my hub that he shouldn't insist on giving them away ,, she told him her kids come to her house and eat the peppers up so she started buying and chargeing her kids ,,, and SHE brings the empty jars back she is the only one that does ,,

Another example:

HIS family will start asking us in 'early' spring what we are growing in the garden ,, when will it be ready - so forth ,, he has offered to plow them a area at their houses for them to have a small garden at their homes ,, but nooo ,, they want 'him' to grow it ,,

and I swear I have never seen such a greedy family ,, he used to take large bags of tomatoes and squash to his one sisters house (all 3 single women live on the same block) and would tell the one sister "I brought all yall some vegatables" ,, and withing a day or two the other 2 sisters will call and say "why didn't you bring US any vegatables" ,,, so now he makes sure to go ahead a divide any vegies up into 3 bags to take to each sisters house ,, its unbelievable ,,

:p there I've vented for today :rolleyes:

5. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks to all...VERY interesting...Joan