What now?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cmharris6002, Jul 29, 2006.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

My 5 mo. Pygmy buck broke his pen and has been having the run of the place :grump: If that isn't bad enough my 2 1/2 mo. Nubian doling fell in love with him and kept escaping to be running loose with him. Every time I thought I had her where she couldn't get out she found a way. She has been bred by him numerous times now...

I repaired the little bucks pen and things have settled down. Now, what should I do about this little doe?

She gets bottle fed 2 quarts of milk (I can keep her on milk as long as I need to), Alfalfa pellets and about 2 cups of COB+BOSS a day. Since the buck is a Pygmy and she is a Nubian will it be okay (assuming that she settles) to let her stay pregnant or should I get something from the vet? She is big for her age, it is hard to tell her from the 5 month olds, but I am so sorry this happened to her.

Has anyone had such a young doeling kid? Were they and the babies okay? Has anyone used something from the vet (starts with an 'L'?) So the doe wouldn't stay pregnant?

What is the best way to handle this :help:

Thanks,
    Christy

2. saraccon

saraccon Member

I had a 6 month old Nigerian Dwarf get pregnant and she ended up with a vaginal prolapse when she started to go into labor. It was horrible and after about 24 hrs of pushing the prolapse back in we finally brought her to the vet and the baby was finally born but dead. Not knowing exactly when the due date was supposed to be (we thought she wasn't due for a few weeks) I wasn't watching carefully enough for signs of labor. The vet said that it could have been b/c she was too young and we should never breed her again. I felt horrible for letting our buck escape and mate with her. If I had known I may have given her something to abort the baby before that huge mess. Good luck! Although, I'm not sure when does start to go into heat? Maybe she is too young to even get pregnant.

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

If he really did breed her (not just acting it out), then she was in heat. However, it would be a bit soon for her to be of breeding age but it can happen. I believe you can give Lutylase (not sure on spelling) to abort but you need to call your vet if you value this animal. Your chances of her delivering babies at this young of an age and not having difficulties is slim. You could very possibly lose her alltogether. Call your vet.

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you. I do value this doe very much. I will call my Vet Monday.

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Call your Vet but it is highly unlikely she was actually bred. Also if he did breed her she is way to young to have working parts. There is a chance but a very slim one.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I would also abort her. She's soooo young.